Friday, October 5, 2012

Pitch Perfect

I don't claim to have the best taste in movies, but I know what I like.  I also know what I generally dislike and look down on.  If you described Pitch Perfect to me, I would tell you I wouldn't be seeing it.  It's the story of a group of girls trying to fit in with each other while attempting to excel in the a capella college scene.  Seriously, nothing in that sentence makes me want to see that movie.  When we happened to catch a preview for it, I was ashamed to say I kinda wanted to see it.*  I felt a little bit better when Mark said he was also mildly interested.  It turns out that Pitch Perfect is actually a whole lot of fun.

My expectations weren't high, but Pitch Perfect didn't waste any time in establishing just what kind of movie it was going to be.  There was a bit more gross out humor than expected, with some very odd characters tossed into the mix.  They didn't really shy away from anything.

The cast capably handles everything thrown at them.  Rebel Wilson is particularly entertaining, while Anna Kendrick continues to be awesome.**  She plays a character that you don't like at times, but you can't help liking her and hoping everything turns out okay.  Her character could have been selfish and much less sympathetic, but Kendrick makes her more than that.

Considering the film is centered around music, it's an important piece of the cast.  Luckily, the music is somewhat varied.  We're not stuck with only current pop hits, but the film-makers weren't afraid to use newer songs when they fit in.  

While I wouldn't have expected it, Pitch Perfect was actually a lot of fun.  There are funny characters, low brow jokes, and some good singing.  Frankly, if you don't go in expecting an Oscar worthy film, you'll be pleasantly surprised.  You don't need to see it in the theater, but if you catch it on TBS someday, it's worth watching.

*I was sold on it from the preview the minute Rebel Wilson explained why she called herself Fat Amy.

**I was trying to come up with something fancy to say, but that really does sum it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment