Thursday, October 18, 2012

Avocado Roll

I know I shouldn't judge all of sushi-dom on one particular avocado roll, but that's exactly what I'm about to do.  I can't be reasoned with!!!  Anyway, I tried sushi in the form of an avocado roll.  When I heard the word "avocado" in the title, I should have been wary, but sometimes the lure of a review is too much.

Not knowing much about sushi, I can only guess that the piece I had was properly prepared  It held together well; it felt firm.  There's rice in it, as well as avocado and maybe some seaweed thing.  I also had pickled ginger and wasabi to accompany it.

Mark offered to put some wasabi on the top of the roll, and I had him go ahead.  I was looking for the full experience.  I had heard it should be used sparingly, so when he put a giant gob on my roll, I had him scrape most of it off.

I'm not sure if you're just supposed to pop the whole thing in your mouth, but that's what I did.  It was a mistake, a huge mistake.  I imagine most of my unhappiness with the produce came from that smear of wasabi.  It just tasted terrible!  It tasted a bit like burning with a base flavor too.

Like Peter Griffin, I just wanted to make a disgusted noise and wipe it off of my tongue.  As we were at some fancy Sam's Club thing, I endured.  I don't care for avacado usually, so that didn't help either.  When I had finally finished the roll, I grabbed the pickled ginger, figuring anything to get the taste out of my mouth would be a good idea.  The ginger helped, but that's not something I really want to eat again either.

I don't see myself trying any more sushi anytime soon.  Perhaps I'll give a California roll a try some time.  If I do, I can assure you I will not have wasabi anywhere near it.  To those of you that can eat sushi, I salute you.

Behold the offending creature!

No comments:

Post a Comment