Monday, October 29, 2012

Joss Whedon on Mitt Romney

Once again, Reddit has shown me the awesome.*  Reddit takes all the most interesting things on the internet and shows them to me.  I have had quite a few reviews inspired by random bits found on Reddit.  Today's review is another one of those.  Today, I want to talk to you about Mitt Romney, as Joss Whedon sees him and his political plan.

For as long as I can remember, actors, musicians, and the like have been only too happy to tell the masses all about their political beliefs.  Often throwing their support very publicly behind one person or another.  This review has nothing to do with who you should vote for on this election day.  Instead, I want to discuss this video.

We've all seen the political ads, and we've all seen how ridiculous they can be.  Listening to Morgan Freeman endorse anything make me think that's a good choice.  The very idea that we can be persuaded to endorse something because someone we like in movies feels that way is a mockery of the entire political structure, but it's also very accurate.  There are many people out there that vote strict party lines or base their decision on who seems "nice".*

These celebrity endorsement ads are silly, but they are also effective.  What I love about this one is that it manages to vilify a candidate while also making a mockery of celebrity ads in general.  I'm not sure if that was Joss Whedon's point, but after seeing the Cabin in the Woods, I like to believe that he can deconstruct a political ad the same way he can deconstruct an entire genre.

Due to the current time of year, we've all seen way to many ads for the presidential candidates.  This one is my favorite.  Once again, I'm not endorsing a candidate; I'm recognizing the humor and silliness of the circus that has become the political arena.

Seriously, if you haven't clicked that link and watched the video, do so now.

*For those of you that don't visit often, Reddit is a place of kittens, atheists, and liberals.  As such, there is a lot of anti-Romney stuff on there.

**Note, I'm not saying all voters think this way, but I've spoken to people that do.

No comments:

Post a Comment