Sunday, October 14, 2012

Nibils Restaurant

I'm not a big breakfast eater.  I usually force myself to eat something in the morning to keep my stomach from rumbling.*  Half of my family really likes breakfast, so I've learned to like certain things, but I usually don't eat much.  Mark is in love with the idea of brunch, but I just don't get it.  In an attempt to pacify him, I took him to Nibils for breakfast today.

Their current location is on King's Highway here in Myrtle Beach, and it used to be a Pizza Hut.  They've repainted the outside, and it's actually quite nice looking.  Most Pizza Huts are pretty dark, but they're also repainted the inside, making it seem much larger than it is.  It's very bright and inviting.  There's a lot of white and pale blue, with beach scenes painted on the walls.  Aside from the window shapes, it no longer resembles a Pizza Hut at all.  Mark didn't even realize until I told him.

The breakfast menu is pretty standard, but that's not a bad thing.  They've got something for everyone.  I can be picky, but I opted for the French toast today, with a side of sausage.  Mark ordered a Southwestern omelette with home fries and rye toast.  Drink-wise, Mark had hot tea.  I had water and fresh squeezed orange juice.

My meal was quite good.  Instead of the overly prissy french toast that you get at a lot of places, this stuff reminded me of something my mom would cook.  So many establishments drown French toast in powdered sugar, whip cream, and anything else lying around the kitchen.  This stuff was simple and tasty, with just a sprinkling of powdered sugar.  The sausage was pretty good, maybe needed a bit more flavor.  I would highly recommend the orange juice though; it was amazing.

I'm pretty sure Mark would suggest their omelettes, as well.  The Southwest omelette has peppers, tomatoes, cheese...all the normal stuff.  The eggs were very well cooked, very thin.  The omelette itself was stuffed, but not too much.  Mark said it was just right.  The taters were delicious.  They did bring him the wrong kind of toast, white instead of wheat, but it was delicious.  Mark let me have half of it.

We also ordered fresh pineapple, which was the smartest move we made all day.  It was served on the husk, chilled.  It also came with a couple strawberries and fruit dipping sauce.  The pineapple had a very good flavor, rendering the sauce unnecessary.

If you want to try a new breakfast place here in Myrtle Beach, give Nibils a shot.  It's locally owned, and I look forward to trying their lunch someday.  Until then, I'll look fondly upon their breakfast.

*I learned that lesson in tenth grade.  There's nothing quite as humiliating as having your stomach growling so loud that others can hear it in Honors English.

No comments:

Post a Comment