Monday, October 15, 2012

Argo

I'm not sure why I was so excited to see Argo.  I really enjoyed the town and trust Ben Affleck as a writer and director, but that wasn't wholly the reason.  You see, I love movies.  I think they're just amazing, and they have the potential to make us as an audience feel so many things.  The idea that they attempted to rescue people under the guise of making a movie just appealed to me.  What's makes it even better is that it is based on a true story.  It is the kind of outlandish plot you expect in Hollywood movies, but it had roots in reality.  How could I not want to see it?

Normally, I spend time talking about what they did well and what they did poorly when I talk about a movie.  In this instance, I really don't have any points for the latter.  From start to finish, Argo is an amazing film.  Each aspect was carefully considered and crafted to make a fantastic entry into cinema.

We've already established that they had a great story to work from.  Set in the early 80's, the film focuses on a group of people who escaped the American Embassy in Iran as it was being overrun, making them the only people to elude captivity.  For the vast amount of people my age or younger, I can't imagine they are overly familiar with the hostage situation that the film coincides with.  I had not studied it, nor was I overly familiar with it.  I had heard of it but only in passing.  It's scary that such a big event isn't really focused on in general teachings.  It just goes to show you that things that seem to be a big deal to us today will fade for tomorrow.

Before I wander any farther off topic, let's get back to movie.  A good story needs the right words to become great.  The dialogue throughout Argo is spot on.  There are minor bits of humor where appropriate, and what is being said feels real.  You don't have outbursts of unrealistic genius.  You don't have extreme caricatures   Each sentence serves to build upon the situation, serves to illustrate who the people are and what they're going through.  It's not overblown or overdone though; it's subtle and effective.

Of course, all the amazing dialogue in the world can be butchered by inexperienced, bad actors.  Luckily, Argo is littered with talented people.  The cast is well balanced, with no one standing head and shoulders above the rest.*  Each actor brings gravitas to their role and feels like an integral part of the cast.  I can't point fingers and declare a weak link.  You may not like different characters at different times, but you don't dislike anyone due to poor acting.  You recognize the weakness of the character, not the actor.

After putting so much into the script and performance, it's no surprise that the other details, both large and small, are also taken care of.  It's the early 80's in the film, and the costumes and vehicles all work together to convince you of that.  Affleck, in an attempt to evoke the time period even further, filmed the movie in such a way as to make it grainy.  We're used to the pristine appearance of today's films, and it's an interesting touch to disregard that to pull you back to the early 80's with such a simple and effective technique.**

I'm always happy when a smart film comes out.  When it was released, I really enjoyed Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.  Argo has that same quality, but it will be a bit more accessible to people.  Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy required the viewer to be attentive at all times, while Argo is a bit more forgiving.  That being said, it is in no way dumbed down.  While I'm sure some liberties were taken with timing to create greater drama, the film rings true.  It's particularly neat to see the side by side images over the end credits; they show the original images that inspired certain scenes in the film with their Argo counterparts.  It really hammers home that this was a real story, regardless of any cinematic license that may have been taken.

If you haven't seen Argo, you should.  I understand if you choose to wait for it on DVD instead of visiting the theater, but either way, it is well worth your time.  It's an intelligent film that is well written and perfectly executed.***

*Well, technically, Ben Affleck is quite tall.  There is a scene where his head is literally higher than all the other people around him.  It's kind of off putting.

**Bravo, sir.  (Cause I totally know that Ben Affleck is reading my reviews.  I'm totally a big deal.)

***Also, Canada is totally rad.  Thanks, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment