Friday, October 12, 2012

Arrow


I’m pretty skeptical when it comes to certain types of tv shows.  Superhero properties can be tricky to start with, and when you couple them with the limited budgets found in television, it can be a recipe for disaster.  For example, we tried to watch the Cape last year.  We really wanted to like it, but it just didn’t work.  My hopes for Arrow weren’t very high.

Imagine my surprise when Arrow turned out to actually be pretty good.  I should probably preface this review by stating that I know very little about Green Arrow and his story.  I know some of the related character names, but the story as a whole is new to me. * 

As the episode opened, I sat there with my low expectations and became incredibly confused.  I’m pretty sure Green Arrow, as he is shown in this entry, is alternate universe Batman.  He is a rich playboy who undergoes a life changing event that causes him to swear to save his city.  Heck, the mansion he lives in looks like Wayne Manor.  I kept expecting to see Alfred wander into frame.  Also, there are additional similarities to Rachel, from the Nolan Batman films.

Once I got past the initial Batman shock, I settled in to see what the show had to offer.  Most of the acting is solid with only a few overdone moments here and there.  The casting seems pretty solid, with the main character being a passable superhero type. 

The effects are also solid, and there is a whole lot of parkour going on.  Thankfully, the camera stays pretty steady so you can appreciate the action pieces and understand what’s going on.  It’s a smart move, as they could have gone more frenetic to further push the vibe but chose to stay steady.

Usually, shows put their all in to the first episode, knowing that is their chance to land an audience.  I just hope they can keep up the quality work throughout the series.  The groundwork has been laid for a great show, with a great deal of foreshadowing regarding other important characters, as well as the potential for evil in many of them.

Arrow is a solid entry into the fall television line up, and I just hope people give it a chance.  Don’t let the similarities to Batman turn you off, and don’t be bothered by another gritty version.  Sometimes, they work.  In this case, it’s a good move.

*I’m not counting what I learned from Young Justice.  That show is awesome but doesn’t focus too much on the adult story lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment