Thursday, November 1, 2012

Better Homes & Gardens Instant Read Meat Thermometer

Years and years ago, we had a meat thermometer.*  Since I wasn't one for cooking fancy meals, it was largely unused.  In one of our moves, I let it go, free to roam with other meat thermometers.  Since then, I have started trying to cook more challenging meals and have come to the conclusion that I need a meat thermometer.  I recently purchased the Better Homes & Gardens Instant Read Meat Thermometer.

You would think that there wouldn't be much to say about a thermometer.  It either takes temperatures properly or it doesn't.  I would think that you should be able to pull it out of the package, sanitize it, and begin using it.  Guess what...that's not the case with this purchase.

My time working at Fazoli's while in college was a dark time.  Many terrible things happened, and I met some odd people.  I even saw a guy try to permanently check out.  Generally, not a whole lot of good things came out of that place.  I did, however, learn how to calibrate a thermometer there.  It's a simple process that involves a cup of ice, some water, and your thermometer.

Being silly, I expected my new thermometer to be calibrated.  I sanitized it and temped some meat.**  I cooked the dish an additional ten minutes or so and couldn't figure out why it wasn't getting to the proper temperature.  After getting frustrated, I realized I should check the thermometer itself.  It turns out that it was a good 35 degrees off.

I could forgive them for that, as it is wise to calibrate your meat thermometer, but what happens if it is someone who doesn't know that?  What if it is someone trying to make a new meal who has little experience.  I double-checked to make sure, but there was no direction on the package to calibrate it, nor did they offer an explanation of how to do it.  Someone who didn't know any better would just assume it was broken.

I'm glad to have a new meat thermometer, and I'm sure it will work just fine in the future.  I am, however, disappointed that the manufacturer didn't clue people in to that particular requirement.  They had other directions on there on how to use a meat thermometer, so I was surprised that was missing.

*Seriously, I giggle every time I type that.

**In all honesty, you giggled too, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment