Monday, November 19, 2012

Adopting A Pet - The Preliminaries

My husband never had a real dog growing up.  I find that sad.  When I was growing up, we had a dog, sometimes two.  It never occurred to me that someone might never have a dog.  Since Mark missed out on that, I think that is why he is constantly asking for one.  If we're driving down the road and he spies a dog, he gets really excited.  He loves visiting places like PetCo because he might see a dog.  Our best friends have an amazing dog named Sophie that I'm pretty sure Mark would have loved to dognap.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want to get Mark a dog, and I've been researching it.  It's actually a huge pain.

When you rent, like we do, the first thing you have to do is get permission from the landlord.  This wasn't really all that difficult.  We've actually talked to them about it multiple times since we moved in.*  They've approved the addition of a dog to our home, and we have come to an agreement on fees.  This part was actually the easiest part.

Next, you have to decide what kind of dog you want.  With us, this is where the size conversation took place.  Mark doesn't want a huge dog, which works with the landlord's request.  They approved us for a medium sized dog or smaller.  This, of course, means I can't have a great dane.**

There is also the discussion about whether to buy a purebred dog or adopt a dog from a shelter.  I am of two minds on this issue.  I think adopting a shelter dog is great.  Our best dogs growing up, Jenna & Tippy, were mixed breeds, and they were awesome.  Besides, you feel good when you adopt from a shelter.  You could be saving a dog's life.  That's pretty cool.  

Well, it would be pretty cool if they didn't make it so difficult.  I understand the need to make sure the dog is going to a good home, but some of the information they require is not always the easiest to obtain.  We currently have a cat, Mr. Kitty.***  We rescued him when we lived in State College.  He has had all of his shots.  He is fixed.****  When he had a weird scab/wound on the back of his neck, we took him to the vet. He gets the treatment he needs as he needs it.  Unfortunately, I have no clue where his shot records are, and I don't recall which vet we used in State College, as we used two or three different ones.  The shelter will not let us adopt a dog without us providing the shot records for our cat.  I respect their desire to make sure you are an excellent animal caretaker, but that information was stuck somewhere when we moved.  I have no idea where it might be, so that kind of rules out adopting from a shelter.

You could still rescue a dog off of Craig's List.  People put dogs on there that may end up in a shelter if no one adopts them.  The only problem is I don't know how well I trust some of the people on there.  There are no guarantees, and I don't know what kind of temperament the dog will have.  Of course, that's a chance you take anywhere, but it's possible this person hasn't been the best owner.  Also, I hate it when they say there is a re-homing fee; let's not mince words.  You're selling your dog.  Don't pretty it up.  If anyone should charge a re-homing fee, it is the person taking the dog off of your hands.  

This brings me to the other option, which is buying from a breeder.*****  Do you know how hard it is to find a breeder?  There doesn't seem to be any good site online that compiles them with up to date information.  I have searched and searched, but I have had no luck.  It is incredibly frustrating.  There is also a stigma attached.  If you buy from a breeder instead of rescuing a dog, some people look down on you, and I don't think that's fair.  In our case, the shelter has made it nigh impossible to adopt from them.  

At this point, Mark and I have just decided to wait it out and see if a dog falls into our laps.  None of the options seem to be working for us, so we have to wait for good old fate to put a dog in our path.  Originally, I was going to get a dog for Mark for Christmas, but after having so much difficulty finding one, I was starting to get frustrated.  Then, the lady from the shelter told me I really shouldn't give my husband of eight years a dog for Christmas.  At that point, I talked it over with Mark.  Now, we're just waiting.

*Yes, this is something we've been discussing since we moved to Myrtle Beach over three years ago.  We also discussed it when we lived in State College.  This is not something we're rushing into.  I swear that I'm going to slap the next person silly who tells me it is a big responsibility.

**It's probably for the best.  I'll get a pony instead!

***His full name is Mr. Bijou Phillips Kitty Esquire.  He hopes to be a judge one day.

****He will die a kitty cat virgin.

*****I'm not even considering buying from one of those pet stores that is frequently called a puppy mill.  If you choose to do that, I bear you no ill will.  Those dogs don't want to be stuck in those little cages.  I worry that they're actually worse off than a shelter dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment