Sunday, November 25, 2012

The Life of Pi

I'm a big fan of reading.  It makes me happy.  When I hear about a new movie being made that sounds interesting, I get really excited when I find out that it was a book first.  I'll go buy the book and read it before the movie even comes out.  I heard about the Hunger Games because I was reading about the casting.  When I realized what it was about, I picked it up.  Back when I heard about them making Life of Pi, I didn't realize it was a book.  Frankly, it didn't really speak to me anyway.  After hearing how great it was, we decided to see the movie.  My feelings are mixed.

Life of Pi is an absolutely beautiful film.  There are striking scenes that almost take your breath away.  It's not the most realistic movie, but the composition of the scenes, the colors, and the subjects come together perfectly.  You have to suspend your disbelief a bit, but it can be done.

When the movie started, I thought I knew what to expect.  From the previews, I knew it had to do with a boy surviving a shipwreck with a tiger, the two of them sharing a lifeboat.  I had heard it was an uplifting type of film.  You know the ones...where everything works out in the end.  Insurmountable odds are surmounted. That kind of thing.  I couldn't have been more wrong.

Early in the film, it felt like it had the potential to be a bit preachy.  There was a decent amount of time spent lying out the main characters beliefs regarding religion.  I thought I knew where it was all going.  As the movie progressed, I was proven wrong.  There was no preaching.  It was all just put out there, and you were left to make your own decisions.

I don't want to get too much into the plot.  I had a better experience with the movie not knowing what I was in for, and I wouldn't want to do you a disservice by telling you too much.  Overall, I think I've had a much different reaction to the film than others.  Mark really liked it; he felt like the message resonated with him.  For me, I just felt empty.  It's a good film to watch, but I don't see myself watching it again. 

The Life of Pi is an excellent film.  That being said, it is incredibly draining.  It's beautiful, and the acting is solid.  At the same time, the story will put you through the paces.  You should see it.  Mark and I have had a lot of discussion since seeing it.  It's definitely a film to make you think, to make you consider what you believe and why.

No comments:

Post a Comment