Monday, November 12, 2012

Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork

Oh, Pioneer Woman, you continue to be awesome.  I was making my grocery list the other day and decided that I needed to pick a few recipes to make this week.  I found two that interested me, both from the Pioneer Woman.*  Today, I made the spicy Dr. Pepper shredded pork.

As the recipe requires at least six hours of cook time, I started this much earlier today.  I gathered my ingredients together in preparation of the meal.

That's a pork butt/shoulder, chipoltles in adobo sauce,
an onion, some Dr. Pepper, and my chunky brown sugar.

Preparation for this meal was really easy.  You chop up that onion into wedges then break them down into their single layers.  Next, you salt and pepper the pork and place it on top of the onions in your sexy red dutch oven.  Throw in two cans of Dr. Pepper** and the two tablespoons of brown sugar.

Pork!

You then dump a can of chipoltle peppers in adobo sauce over the whole dish.  She suggests using an 11 ounce can, but Wal-Mart only had 7 ounce cans.  I bought two, but when I noticed that she said the spice averse may only want to use half, I just used one little can.

They look gross.

Once you have that all together, you throw a lid on the pot and put it in the oven for six hours.  I turned mine once every two hours, and it turned out just fine.  She said to put it back in for an hour if the meat wasn't falling apart after six hours, but mine was perfect at six.

This picture doesn't look appetizing either.
It did smell really good though.

The hardest part of the preparation was shredding the meat.  It took forever!  It smelled so good that I didn't want to take the time to shred it, but I did.  If anyone needs any shredded pork, let me know.  I have way too much of it.  We ended up refrigerating two small glass dishes of it with the sauce.  We made sandwiches for tonight then put the remainder in a big baggie.  This piece of meat could seriously feed a ton of people.

Those forks totally messed that pig up!

Taste wise, the pork is really good.  It has almost a dry heat.  The spice doesn't hit you until after the fact.  The current plan is to use some for sandwiches.  We'll also be making soft tacos at some point.  We may even go the nacho route.  If anyone has any suggestions for shredded pork, let me know.  We definitely want to use it because it is tasty.  It's nice and moist, not dried out at all.

Once again, the Pioneer Woman has provided me with a great recipe that was easy to follow.  I'm starting to feel like a real cook!  I can't wait to make the other recipe I pulled for this week!  I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for reading!  Here, have a bonus
picture of my cat! 


*If you recall, I have spoken of her awesomeness before.  She introduced me to the dutch oven and guided me through my first roast.

**You'll notice that there is a 2 liter of Dr. Pepper sitting there.  I refused to buy a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper, as I have given up soda.  On occasion, I will have a Sprite, but I am largely clean.  I have three cans of Coke that have been in my fridge for over a month that reinforce the idea that I actually have willpower.  I even looked at them today to figure out how much Dr. Pepper needed to go into the pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment