Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Verizon Wireless - Recent Changes

I have done one other review in the form of an open letter, and it seems as if the time has come to do so again.  Verizon Wireless has made some recent changes to their services, and Verizon needs to know how their customers are taking them.

An Open Letter To Verizon:

Verizon,

I feel we've had some good times together.  Where other carriers could not provide signal, you came through.  My parents live in the middle of nowhere, but you have no problem getting through to them.  I appreciate that.  With the exception of a few buildings that seem to give you trouble, you have amazing coverage.  I appreciate what you're capable of.

Unfotunately, I'm learing what it is that you're really capable of.  You seem to have no problem stabbing your long time customers right in the back.*  I guess that's not accurate.  You're looking us in the eyes when you do it.  I'm pretty sure you're twisting the knife too.

I'm probably being unfair, vilifying you to such a degree, but what do you expect?  I'm pretty sure we've been customers for nine years.  Generally, in situations such as these, you get to keep whatever plan you had.  If you choose to change, that's fine, but in general, if you promised me a bag of M&Ms every month, I get that.  I can't ask for Skittles instead, but I'm grandfathered in for those darn M&Ms.

Recently, you decided that unlimited data was a bad idea.  You had no problem taking my money for it the past four or five years.  I don't even use that much data.**  I understand the idea that there are people out there sucking down the data, but that doesn't make it right to punish those that have been loyal customers.  You made the offer; you should stand by it.***

You know what?  I can accept that.  Business changes, and you have to change with it.  Of course, there are other carriers that say unlimited is still okay.  I know you don't have to care though because you have the best coverage.  It makes you feel invincible.  If you're not careful, that will change.

Since I'm preparing to fall prey to your evil machinations, the research has begun.  We aren't willing to change carriers yet, which really makes us part of the problem.  If we don't stand up for us, who will?  Anyway, we started checking to see how much it's going to cost us.  It will actually be cheaper with your new plans.  We figured up how much data we use now, and the plan with that much data will actually save me money.  I just want to thank you for saving me money with your greed.

Never one to be outdone, this is when you twist the knife.  Why is it that there is an activation fee all of a sudden?  I've upgraded every two to three years with you, and I don't recall ever paying an activation fee on my upgrades.  All of a sudden, I'm being told that it is going to cost me $36 to upgrade my phone, to continue my service with you if I want a new phone.  You do realize that is ridiculous, right?

I had planned on getting my parent new phones with the new upgrades, as gifts, but I won't see them for three weeks.  If I activate the phones when I buy them then deactivate them until I see them, am I going to have to pay that fee three times..once for the new phone, once to reactivate the old phone, and a third time to activate the new phone in three weeks?****

For whatever reason, you've got my business for a while longer.  I'm not sure if it will continue on, as you're walking the fine line between cell phone provider and evil genius.  Can you justify these changes?  I'm sure you can.  That doesn't make them right.  Your coverage is great, but stop being evil.  It's bad for your teeth.

Holly

*With a really sharp knife!  I mean, it really hurts.

**Out of the five people on our plan, I am number four for date consumption.  Reddit and those pictures of cats don't eat much data.  Om nom nom...

***I don't know how long ago it actually was, but Disney began offering refillable mugs when I was still in high school.  At the time, the mugs were offered with free lifetime refills.  To this day, people argue about that.  I remember; I was there.  Somewhere, I still have that bright yellow mug.  Nowadays, Disney only offers free refills for the length of your stay.  That's fine.  You know going into it what you're allowed, but they should still let you fill those old yellow mugs.  Heck, if you've kept it this long, you've earned it.

****In order to buy more presents, I would want to buy their phones via Black Friday sales.  It's called being frugal.  Look it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment