Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Tomo

In the 38th avenue plaza, there is a small restaurant that constantly changes names and owners.  When I moved here, it was Jimmy's.  Shortly thereafter, it became Ichiro's.  The newest iteration is Tomo.  Mark and I, as usual, were struggling with what to have for dinner yesterday, and we decided to try Tomo.  A few of my co-workers had tried it, and they had nothing but good things to say.  Unfortunately, it wasn't as great as I had heard.

The restaurant has been cleaned up quite a bit.  The decor is nice, as is the new paint scheme.  It feels much fancier than it has in the past.  I wasn't worried that the food wasn't safe or that mice were going to attack us while we decided what to order.  Additionally, the young men manning the store were very friendly.

After perusing the menu, we decided to get two entrees, the steak and chicken.  One of us was going to get rice while the other was to order noodles.  We were very excited when we found out each meal came with both!  The meals also came with some veggies.  On a whim, we decided to get some wings too.

It only took fifteen minutes or so before our meals were ready.  We had decided to head home to eat, as we are quite obsessed with Fringe at the moment.  We grabbed some chopsticks and got out of there.

Upon arriving at home, we pulled out our meals and set to work devouring them.  I am happy to report that the chicken was marvelous.  It was perfectly cooked and had good flavor.  Moving on to the steak, it was a bit over-cooked, but since they didn't ask how we wanted it, I can only assume they chose to make it well done.

Much like the chicken, the noodles were perfectly cooked.  They weren't clumping together and were just divine.  Unlike the chicken, the noodles weren't as tasty.  They seemed to be missing something.  The rice was pretty good, but it too was a little under seasoned.  I liked it though because all sides can be fixed with that mayo sauce stuff.  I also used the mayo sauce to counteract my burnt veggies.  I love zucchini, but Mark does not.  Mine was burnt; his was not.  It was some weird cosmic joke.  I didn't realize his were in good condition until they were cold and I was full.

Mark had copious praise for the wings.  They were teriyaki, and he said they were good.  They came with ranch and a few carrot sticks and celery pieces.  They were of average size and cost.

All in all, Tomo's was just okay.  Based on the people and the positive aspects of our meal, I would try them again.  The few things that were over-done can be blamed on them being a relatively new establishment.  Now, if I try them again in a couple weeks and have a similar experience, I'll write them off.  Until then, I shall allow them to continue to exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment