Friday, June 15, 2012

Red Letter Media

Generally, one would not expect that a review nearly as long as the film itself would be worth the time.  In this instance, you would be mistaken.  Red Letter Media has what are perhaps the most entertaining reviews to be found on the internet.*  Often hitting about half the running time of the discussed films, these video reviews are well worth your time and often better than the discussed films.

The first time I heard of Plinkett, the main character of the reviews, and his pieces, I was skeptical.  Ain't nobody got time for that!  One day, my curiosity got the better of me, and I sat down to watch his review of Star Wars: Episode 1.  It was a glorious day.  If you haven't seen it, you should.

Plinkett combines my love of movies and discussing them with my love of the ridiculous.  There are weird little bits inserted in the reviews that give you a better idea of who Plinkett is, what sort of man he may be.  I found it to be weird the first time I watched a review, but it grows on you.  Because of him, I have some misplaced love of pizza rolls, and I can no longer pronounce analysis correctly.**

To date, I have watched all of the Plinkett reviews.  I take that back.  I haven't watched Cop Dog yet, but I did watch Baby's Day Out.  To be clear, I had no interest in Baby's Day Out, but the thought of another Plinkett review pulled me in.  I couldn't help myself.  Even more interesting is the fact that I enjoyed it.

The reviews showcase a lot of footage from the films.  There are a lot of Star Trek reviews, mainly the next generation movies, and he has covered all of the Star Wars prequels.  He's done a few other movies, such as Avatar and the most recent Indiana Jones movie.  Instead of just re-hashing the same tired, old rabid-fan-boy-done-wrong complaints, he actually vocalizes structured criticisms.  Instead of just hating on the prequels, he gives actual reasons for it.  He fills over an hour with valid criticisms peppered with unorthodox humor.  It's right up my alley.

With the success of the Plinkett reviews, Red Letter Media has created the Half in the Bag series, where they discuss more recent films.  The Plinkett reviews often take quite a while to create, as they are posted infrequently.  Half in the Bag is done in a much more laid back style, with shorter critiques.  There is nothing wrong with that, but they do not appeal to me.  In their defense, I have only watched one or two, and it was quite a while ago.  I should probably give them another shot.

If you have some time to kill, watch some Plinkett reviews.  They're good critiques and weird to boot.  It's a win-win situation!  If you check them out, I'll send you a pizza roll!

*The internet is a large place.  I have no experienced all reviews, so please, take that into consideration.

**In my head, I always hear anal-sis.  It's hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment