Monday, June 4, 2012

Best. Salad. Ever.

As I wasn't feeling well tonight, Mark was kind enough to pick me up my favorite salad.  Sold by Outback Steakhouse for only $3.99, the classic blue cheese wedge salad is superior to any other salad I have found.  In the past, I have gone there for dinner and just ordered two of these amazing salads.

My first experience with the classic blue cheese wedge salad was actually quite sad.  We were having dinner with our best friends, Rick and Tara.  We were getting ready to move away and decided to have dinner at Outback, which I was not a huge fan of.  The meal I ordered came with this salad.  I had never had blue cheese or blue cheese crumbles.  For whatever reason, I decided to accept the salad as it was, and I've never looked back.

The salad consists of a wedge of lettuce, which is then surrounded by blue cheese crumbles, tiny tomatoes, and pieces of red onion.  It is then drizzled with blue cheese dressing and a balsamic glaze.  The glaze is sweet and cuts the bite of the blue cheese crumbles.  The flavors work incredibly well together.

I've tried this type of salad at other establishments, and none of them are as good.  The closest one was at Cheeseburger in Paradise, where they  used a blueberry glaze of sorts*.  Most restaurants offering a blue cheese wedge salad forget this important component.

If you haven't tried the classic blue cheese wedge salad at Outback, you really should.  When my co-workers and I went out one night to bid adieu to one of our own, we went to Outback, where I ordered this salad.  The Clark Bar eyed my salad, saying it looked good, but he didn't get one.  I believe it haunts him to this very day.  Don't let that happen to you!!!

*They no longer carry this salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment