Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Steaks

Our condo here in Myrtle Beach has been our first dwelling with easy access to a grill.  That being the case, we started grilling out upon our arrival.  As we are both huge fans of rib-eye steaks, we set out to find some three years ago.  We discovered that Sam's Club sold them.  They usually came three to a package for about $25.  They are a bit thick, and they are very nice cuts of meat.

This past weekend, I was looking for steaks.  The ones at Sam's have gone up in price, and I couldn't justify over $30 for steaks for Mark and I.  After finishing my shopping at Sam's club, I visited Bi-Lo to peruse their rib-eye steaks.  I found two smaller, thinner steaks for a decent price, so I picked them up.  

Tonight, we decided to have our steaks with some mashed potatoes, grilled carrots and peppers, baked beans, and corn on the cob.  We plated up the food, and it looked delicious.  All of the sides proved to be tasty.  The steaks, on the other hand, were bad.  They just didn't taste good.  

After we finished dinner, which concluded with me throwing out my steak, we discussed what the problem may have been.  It turns out that Sam's Club uses certified prime Angus beef.  I honestly didn't really pay much attention to the meat grading system in the past, but after the terrible steaks we had tonight, I decided to research it.  The Sam's Club steaks are just better meat, and you can taste it.

If you're going to make your own steaks, it's worth it to pay a bit extra and get the steaks from Sam's Club.  I won't be making the Bi-Lo mistake again in the future.  Bi-Lo may be preferable to Wal-Mart when it comes to getting groceries since our Seaboard Wal-Mart is always a mad house, but I'll be getting my meat* at Sam's Club.

*You are allowed to giggle at the phrase "my meat".

No comments:

Post a Comment