Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Disney Store

Now, I have a problem.  Actually, it's an addiction, but they say the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.  I love Walt Disney World.  As an extension, I also enjoy finding small patches of Disney, which normal people like you call the Disney Store.  That being said, I recognize that the Disney Store is not perfect.

In the past few years, more and more Disney Stores have been closed.  While this makes me very sad, I am lucky enough to live near one.  Tanger Outlets on 17 is home to a  Disney Store that is responsible for giving me my occasional fix.  This particular store isn't overly fancy.  I've seen some Disney Stores that had moving dioramas starring Disney characters.  My current store has some Alice in Wonderland statues in the front window, but that's their extent of unique theming.

For the most part, the employees are friendly.  They are on par with the Castmembers in the parks.  While nice, they are not the most knowledgeable regarding certain park information.  After the selling and re-buying of the Disney Stores, it doesn't feel quite the same.  Tonight, an incredibly nice young girl was unaware of the price of an annual pass, even though they sold the vouchers for them.  Obviously, she couldn't know everything.  For all I know, she was new.  Regardless, she was polite and made excellent small talk.

The prices at the Disney Store are much less offensive now-a-days.  You can usually get an adult t-shirt for under ten bucks.  I didn't look at the prices on the children's clothing, as I have no children.  In general, the prices are less than Disney park prices.

The best thing about this particular store is that they carry actual park merchandise.  It started maybe a year ago.  You can find merchandise, usually from Disneyland, at clearance prices.  A shirt that is $30 in the park is $12.99 in the Disney Store, on the clearance rack.  While some items make it painfully obvious why they've had their prices slashed, others are good finds.  I got a really neat Haunted Mansion tote bag last year for ten bucks that was originally ticketed at three times as much.

If the Disney Store has a problem, it is in its general stock.  While there are some adult items, most of the merchandise is aimed at children.  Obviously, that makes sense.  I'm an odd case, but at least I can admit it.  I would appreciate more household type items with a Disney flair.  Until they choose to accommodate my wishes, I'll just have to stock up when I visit the motherland.*

*The would be Walt Disney World.

No comments:

Post a Comment