Monday, June 25, 2012

Five Guys Burgers & Fries

Today, due to our busy schedules, Mark only had about twenty minutes to leaves Sam's Club, pick me up at work, eat, and return to work.  As such, we realized coming home for dinner wasn't going to work.  Instead, Mark suggested I drop him off at the club and go pick up  Five Guys Burgers & Fries for dinner.  He figured I could bring it back to the club, and we could eat dinner in the cafe.


I won't whine at you about the terrible experience I had driving to the restaurant.  Needless to say, sitting through the red light a total of four times was ridiculous.  I found a convenient parking spot and walked briskly into Five Guys.


Now, if you've never been to one before, they're very simply decorated.  There are articles on the wall talking about how great their food is.  The walls are primarily white tile, with a red tile pattern about shoulder height around the store.  There are simple tables and chairs throughout.  As you approach the counter to place your order, you can see into the kitchen, where they prepare the food.  There is usually a chalkboard that tells you where today's potatoes are from.


I placed my order, getting two little bacon cheeseburgers, with a multitude of toppings.  I opted for a simple addition of ketchup.  Mark, on the other hand, gave me a long list of toppings for his burger which included: A1 sauce, onions, green peppers, jalapenos, and more that I no longer recall.  I did panic when the girl asked if I wanted the onions raw or cooked.  If you like toppings, Five Guys is the place for you.  In addition to our burgers, I also ordered a large fry and two beverages.  They have the Freestyle machines here, so it went without saying that we needed fancy drinks.


Because Five Guys makes your burgers to order, there is usually a wait between five and ten minutes; it can be longer if they're very busy.  There was only one group ahead of me waiting for food, so my wait was pretty short.  It felt even shorter because I was eating peanuts while I waited.  You have to love an establishment that gives you free peanuts while you wait.


Now, you remember how I was all along and picking up food for both Mark and I?  Well, I was a bit worried about juggling two large beverages and a big bag of food out to the car.  When the nice young man called out my number, he noticed that I had two drinks and offered me a carrier.  Many places don't offer a carrier when it is only two drinks.  He ran to the bank to get it for me.  After getting my drinks situated, he walked me to the door, so he could open it for me.  It was incredibly kind, especially since the assistance was freely offered.


After returning to Sam's Club, Mark and I dug into our food.  There are a few things I really love about Five Guys.  I enjoy the fresh made burgers.  They are incredibly good.  I probably won't order one with bacon again, as I felt the bacon was just okay.  One of their other nice characteristics is how they portion their fries.  A single large fry is served in a paper cup, about the size of a medium at a normal chain restaurant.  After they put the fries and burgers in the brown paper sack, they proceed to dump a bunch more fries in the bag. The entire bottom of the bag was full of fries; it was at least three inches deep.  Needless to say, we couldn't finish them all.


I have never been disappointed in a meal from Five Guys Burgers & Fries.  It isn't very good for you, but it is tasty.  The people that work there are generally nice too.  If you ever go there but aren't in the mood for a burger, try one of their hot dogs.  They split them down the middle, and they are delicious with cheese.  Also, make sure to order your burger as a little one.  It really isn't little; it just means there is only one patty.  That single patty is plenty; trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment