Thursday, June 28, 2012

Justified

Do you know what drew me to Justified?  It was a combination of Seth Bullock and Shane.  Now, if that doesn't make any sense to you, that's understandable.  Actors are constantly being recognized for specific roles.  Daniel Radcliffe will be Harry Potter to most people unless he comes up with something more memorable.  An iconic role can be a blessing and a curse.

In the case of my good friends Seth Bullock and Shane, it's definitely a good thing.  Seth Bullock was the sheriff on Deadwood, an old west type show from HBO.  The actor's name is actually Timothy Olyphant, and I've seen him in quite a few shows I've liked.  For example, I didn't think Hitman was a great movie, but I liked watching Olyphant run amok.  The Crazies was actually a pretty good film, and he was a large part of the reason.

Now that we've established who Bullock was, let's discuss Shane.  If you watched the Shield, you will recognize him.  Let's just say that I love his crazy hair.  It's nothing special, but it's one of his defining characteristics.  Shane was one of Vic's shadier guys, and he was played by Walton Goggins.  If you saw Predators, he was in that too.

I have a weakness for certain actors, and it turns out these guys can get me interested in a show that may otherwise fall under my radar.  Justified is about a US Marshal and his misadventures.  Running on FX, the synopsis isn't really that interesting; it's the actors and the characters they portray that have earned my viewership.

At this point, we're a little more than halfway through the second season, and the show is constantly getting better.   The acting is solid.  Some of the less used characters are a little flat, but Olyphant and Goggins both do such a great job with their roles that it doesn't matter.  Goggins isn't on as much as Olyphant, especially in the first season, but the scenes he is in are generally the most interesting for me.

As with any show, there are plot lines I dislike, but luckily, they are usually confined to a single episode.  Even then, they're not bad.  I just don't care for them.  The first season was good, but the second season has a better track record so far.  Justified chose well when choosing their first episode, as it is one of the strongest from the first season.  There have been episodes that I have fallen asleep watching.  It's a combination of watching them too late at night and not being as gripping as they could be.  Because of Justified's overall showing, I'm planning to watch it all.

If you're looking for a show to watch that doesn't require too much of the viewer but still manages to keep your attention, check out Justified.  I wouldn't watch it when you're super tired until you get to season two.  Don't get discouraged at the lack of Goggins in the first season; he's utilized more in season two.

No comments:

Post a Comment