Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Wilfred

I must say that Wilfred is the singularly weirdest show I've seen.  It's actually weirder than some of the anime I've watched, and I've watched some weird anime.  If you've seen any of the previews, you have a basic idea what the show is about.  Elijah Wood hangs out with a dog named Wilfred, who happens to be played by a man in a dog suit.  The important, yet completely inconsequential, question at this point is whether Wood's character is crazy or not.  I'm only a couple episodes in, and I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

At first, I was a bit surprised that Elijah Wood was starring in this show but then I thought about his film career.  Frankly, Wilfred is right up his alley.  As odd as it may seem, watching Frodo talk to Fido is pretty funny.

Wilfred manages to juggle simple humor with a story line that is actually pretty serious.  A great deal of the humor stems from a man walking around in a dog suit, doing dog things.  From being overly amorous towards a waitress to chasing a laser pointer, it is funny to see a man act like a dog.  Add in the dialogue, and it's pretty funny.  I'm actually ashamed at some of the things I laughed at, but there's nothing wrong with being entertained.

The show also succeeds at making you feel uncomfortable.  From cringing at the stupid mistakes Wood's character makes to watching Wilfred be kind of a jerk, the story hides Wood's journey as a person in silly humor.  I find myself wavering between enjoying the show and feeling like I should find some brain floss.  When I get really creeped out, the show tends to throw a laugh my way.

The show is grounded by Wood's excellent acting and Jason Gann as Wilfred.*  In the three episodes I've watched, there have been appearances by four actors I recognize; the show utilizes talented people to make a silly idea seem okay.  It's amazing how much credibility a show can garner when it uses the right people.

If you're in a decent state of mind, give Wilfred a try.  It's really, really weird, and it can be uncomfortable, but it's interesting.  There are laughs to be had.  Go have some.

*By the way, for some reason, having the dog have an accent makes it less silly to me.  I know that makes no sense, but that's how my brain works.

1 comment:

  1. I like to think he's got the accent because he's an Australian Shepherd.

    ReplyDelete