Sunday, July 8, 2012

Final Destination 5

From the moment the film starts, Final Destination is hokey and cartoony.  Needless to say, this is kind of expected from the franchise at this point and is part of why it makes for a fun movie.  I've never been a big fan of the gory deaths, but I do enjoy seeing the Rube Goldberg of it all.  I actually considered pausing the movie to review it in real time, but I settled for just taking a few notes.


  1. Final Destination 5 is hokey.  Because we've been over this idea multiple times before, the filmmakers need to find new ways to twist the rules and setting.  Let me just say that I caught on to where this was going well before the end.  That being said, it was still a fun ride getting there.
  2. I have no idea what is wrong with Miles Fisher's eyebrows.  Every time he was on screen, I was taken out of the film.  Considering I had already set my suspension of disbelief as high as it goes, it would take a lot to pull me out at that point.  Seriously, check out this guy's eyebrows.  Granted, I refuse to pluck and probably have no right to talk.  Let's move on.
  3. The characters are less characters at this point and more caricatures.  You have the sleazy sexpot, who happens to be an unattractive tech support guy in this movie.  I'm not sure how they thought that was believable.  I suppose they thought the Fisher's eyebrows would distract from that.
  4. Part of my time spent watching Final Destination movies is spent figuring out how I would try to survive.  I know that wouldn't happen; I would die screaming.  Regardless, it's fun to try and hypothesize.  Am I the only one who does this?
  5. Someone gets hit with a cable that breaks and essentially disintegrates.  It made me laugh out loud.  I would say there was a fine red mist was all that was left, but that would require the filmmakers to have restraint.  Because both the amount of blood and the color are so cartoon like, it's hard to take the movie seriously in that respect.
  6. It seems that most movies like this cast actors that are too old to as high school kids.  This film is the reverse.  These actors are supposed to be finished with college or in college, and they don't look nearly old enough.
  7. Having them work at a paper supplier made me constantly think of the Office.  Granted, this movie was funnier than the Office has been lately.
  8. There is a bit of an acknowledgement to the absurdity of it all, and I appreciate that.  
  9. Of course, the movie commits one of the cardinal movie sins; it flashes back to itself.  If you can't remember something you saw at the beginning of the movie, go back to watching Power Rangers or Dora the Explore, whichever you prefer.
  10. I appreciate a film that uses cheap 3D tricks when appropriate.  While I didn't watch this movie in 3D, it was obviously made to exploit stuff being thrown at you.  The entire opening credits sequence is stuff flying out from the screen.  I'm gonna go ahead and give the filmmakers bonus points for that.
If you go into Final Destination 5 expecting a good movie, you're gonna have a bad time.  If you go in expecting more of the same, you'll get what you're expecting.  I had a lot of fun with this movie, but it was by no means a good movie.  Frankly, my favorite Final Destination film is still the third one.  With classic lines like, "What the fuck is a Bruin anyway?", we all win.*

As a final thought, it's always fun to see Tony Todd; he's a great "that guy".

*Come on, Ryan.  If you're out there, back me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment