Saturday, July 7, 2012

The 2012 Ford Focus

Until recently, the only car I had ever driven was a 2006 Saturn Ion with the really neat suicide doors.  It was red!  After the car betrayed me, we began looking for something to replace it.  After much hullabaloo, we ended up with a 2012 Ford Focus.

Let's get the general stuff out of the way.  It's the middle package.  There is no sunroof, but it does have a sport shift.*  It's a sparkly black color.**  It has four doors and is a hatchback.***  If we don't like it after three years, we can get something else, since we leased it.

Now, let me list all the awesome things about our new car for you!

  1. There is a touchscreen in the dashboard.  I can use it to change entertainment, phone, climate control, and other various settings.  Also, Batman!*****
  2. The car is an extension of my phone.  I hit a button on the steering wheel, tell the car who to call, and it calls them!  I have never driven and made calls before, as I'm not that talented.  Now, I can call and bother whomever I want while zooming around town.
  3. The back is actually pretty roomy.  It's much better than the Saturn for space.
  4. There are climate controls for each side of the car.
  5. I can control my iPod from the steering wheel.
  6. I can control the radio from the steering wheel.
  7. I can control the CD player from the steering wheel.
  8. I can change between all the things I can control, all using buttons on the steering wheel.
  9. Two words...ambient lighting.  There is lighting above our feet, on the doors, and in the cup holders.   We can even change the color, as well as the brightness.******
  10. There are two trip odometers.  We can use one to track our weekly miles (lease), and we can use the other one for whatever makes me happy.
  11. There is an additional screen, about the size of a playing card, in front of the driver that displays such as: Odometer 1, Odometer 2, Miles Until Empty, Fuel Efficiency, and some other information that is less fun.
  12. There is a smaller, secondary mirror on the upper outside corners of both side-view mirrors that gives you a different view.  It makes  it much easier when merging.
  13. The bottom of the cup-holder comes out.  This means you can take it out and wash it if you get crumbs or a sticky beverage in it.
As with any new toy, there are some things I am not so fond of.
  1. The driver dials (speedometer, temperature gauge, etc.) are located directly in front of the driver, behind the steering wheel.  In our Saturn, they were in the center of the dash, unimpeded from view.  In the Focus, the steering wheel gets in the way.  I know the Saturn was the weird one, but I was used to it.
  2. The gas and brake are very sensitive.  I'm sure I look like an inexperienced driver sometimes, when the car is jerking about.*******
  3. The really nifty extra mirrors on the side-view mirrors sometimes confuse me.  I'm happy they are there, but I am still getting used to them.
  4. I absolutely hate the headrests.  They til forward too much.  Our Saturn has no center in the headrests.  This allowed me, someone who usually has her hair up, to still comfortably use the headrests.  Now, I feel like I have to take my hair down to drive.
All in all, I really like the new car.  I'm sure more things will come up that I both love and hate, but I like to be angry about stuff, so it's only natural.********  I am afraid the car is like the one from Christine.  It attacked an orange cone the other day, and I just couldn't stop it.  I guess if you're not an orange cone, you should be find.

*Which I have no freaking clue how to use.

**It's black, but it has glittery sparkles when the sun hits it, kind of like those "vampires"*** from the Twilight books.

***I use that term loosely.

****If I was crazy, I would carve the numbers from the Lost hatch into it because that would be cool.

*****Also, sorry about the quality.  I spent all my energy getting it to say "Batmobile".

******Mark insists that our car is a space ship.
 
*******Or it just looks like I'm having a really good time.  I'm not sure which.

********Ask Mark; he'll tell you all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment