Monday, December 31, 2012

The year in reviews

Here we are.  It's been 366 days, and I have done 366 reviews.*  It's been an interesting journey.  I've learned a lot, but I have a long way to go.  I've made mistakes along the way, but I have had an adventure.  I would think long and hard about an undertaking such as this one.  It was very rewarding, but it was stressful at times.

In the beginning I wasn't even posting my reviews to a blog.  I was just putting them in my notes section on Facebook.  If you decide to do something like this, I strongly suggest using a Blog service.  I prefer Blogger, which has been very user friendly for me.  I can easily link my reviews on Facebook, which allows me to still share them with my friends and family.**

I like to think that my writing has improved a bit as time has gone on.  In the beginning, my reviews were pretty short, with minimal discussion.  Now, some of them get into more depth, while others remain shorter.  I like to think it is based on what each topic is deserving of.  

I know I still have a long ways to go if I actually wanted to do anything as a writer.  I'm incredibly unpolished and quite mediocre according to some.  That's okay.  I'm having fun, and the ability to improve is always there.  The little tips and suggestions I have received are welcome.  You don't learn or grow without feedback.

There are certain changes I could make that would improve my pieces immensely.  With some reviews, I have notes to go off of.  For most, I am writing it as I go.  I don't go back and re-read what I've written, which means I miss typos.  In the next year, I'm going to try and press myself to review my own words, to see where I could improve.

In the past couple of days, I have been playing catch up.  I had missed quite a few reviews in November and December.  I was busy, so many days saw a heading put up without the actual article.  I've paid for that, but everything is caught up now.***  For this upcoming year, I'm going to avoid that particular behavior.  I got through the first few months of 2012 getting my reviews up daily, so I know it can be done.

I've had an adventure this year, and you can see some of that in my reviews.  It's not world class writing, but I had fun doing it.  I've written a review for every day of the year in 2012.  I got my driver's license.****  I gave up Coke and caffeine cold turkey.  I'm not the most amazing person you'll talk to today.  Heck, I'm probably not in the top ten, but I don't need to be.  I'm just going to keep on doing what I do.  We'll see what 2013 brings.

Thanks for reading.

*Including this one.

**All six of you.  :)

***I think.  I hope.

****It was year and years and years overdue.

No comments:

Post a Comment