Saturday, December 29, 2012

Lincoln

As someone that loves film, I'll watch almost anything.*  I don't even have to be that interested to sit down and watch a movie.  However, there are movies that I feel I must watch because I've heard they're good.  Lincoln is one of those  movies.  We went to a ten o'clock showing, so I was already worried about being tired.  When we decided to see Lincoln instead of something with more explosions, I was doubly concerned.  I needn't have been.

The film covers the brief time spent attempting to pass the 18th Amendment, the abolition of slavery.  You also see just how this goal, this one change impacted Mr. Lincoln and those around him.  The politicking that went into making it happen, as well as the money and lives, fill nearly three hours.

Would you believe that the time flies?  The pace set by the film-makers is nigh on perfect.  There are no real lulls.  Even knowing how it all ends, I was on the edge of my seat during the voting scene.  Considering that the film is primarily discussion, it's amazing how well they made it come together.**

The script takes what is really a complex matter and explains it in such a succinct way that it's almost shocking.  I learned so much while watching the film***, and I enjoyed it.  I generally like history, even though I'm not very good with it.  This movie made me want to go learn more about what happened.  They show-cased the right events and the right people.****

Furthering assisting the film was cast.  While I enjoyed picking out all the actors I had seen in other projects, Daniel Day-Lewis stood heads above the rest, literally and figuratively.*****  I know praises have been heaped upon him by pretty much anyone for any film he's been in, and it's all earned.  He disappears into whatever role he takes on.  He is an amazing actor.  I didn't care for Gangs of New York when I first saw it, but I want to re-watch it, just to see him.  I would actively seek out a movie I didn't like to see his performance.  That says a lot about his capabilities.  He takes on Lincoln, who most everyone has some preconceived notion of, and makes him human, makes him real.  He's not shown as a perfect man; he's shown as a genuine person.  Day-Lewis further humanizes him by making the impact of his quest apparent upon him.

I was truly shocked at just how great Lincoln was as a film.  I expected good performances spread over a somewhat dry movie.  That couldn't be farther from the truth.  The film is nearly perfect.******  If you haven't seen it, you should.  This is one of those movies that I felt better for watching.*******

*If there is an exception, it's probably movies staring Jennifer Aniston or horror movies full of jump out scares.  Blah.

**I'm not indicating that films that feature talking over explosions are inherently weaker.  In some instances, with some subject matter, films can become bogged down, overcome by their own weightiness, their attempt to be important.  Lincoln never falters.

***I do have to give props to Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter for teaching me that Lincoln lost a son.  I knew that going into this film.  I don't know if I had heard that in high school or not.

****I can't speak as to the historical accuracy of the piece.  If it's close enough, this is the type of film I would want my kids to watch in high school.  I remember watching 1776, the musical.  I was ill prepared for Lincoln because I kept expecting them to sing in the debate sections.

*****Lincoln was tall.

******<<<<<Spoiler>>>>>

The only criticism I have of the entire film, and I use that term loosely, is the ending.  I would have liked to have seen it end after their carriage ride where they discuss travelling abroad.  The end is fine as it is, but I would have preferred cutting it a bit earlier since we knew what would happen.  I like the film focusing on the passing of the 13th Amendment.  Mark and I differ on this point, as he believes it shows just how much he gave.  Regardless, the film is still amazing, and as I said, this is barely a criticism.  Spielberg knows what he's doing.

*******Although, it was awkward to watch in the South, especially when they started mentioning towns I live near.

No comments:

Post a Comment