Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

I love, love, love the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  Since it has been available on DVD*, I have watched it when I wrap Christmas presents.  I have no idea why.  It just makes sense to me.  Additionally, once TNT or TBS started running them all the time, I would just put them on in the background.  They are quality flicks.  Because of my affection for those films, I've been pretty excited about the Hobbit.

Often times, being psyched for a film can have a negative impact.  It often can't live up to the hype, especially that which you create in your own head.  The Hobbit had a good foundation though.  Peter Jackson was back, as were the actors behind any characters that played characters from both stories.  When you factor in the new cast members, it was looking pretty good.

For whatever reason, my brother demanded to talk to me about the movie before I wrote my review.  He expected me to have a multitude of negative things to say about the Hobbit.  I'm happy to report that he was mistaken in his assumption of my reaction.  He had really enjoyed the Hobbit and worried I would not.  I really, really liked it.  While there are some minimal criticisms, I would recommend that everyone see the Hobbit.  If it plays in our Imax theater again, I plan to see it a second time.**

As I've mentioned previously, the cast and acting is stellar.  I'm not going to list all the characters/actors that are back.  Let's just say that they're all great.  I was really excited at the inclusion of Martin Freeman as young Bilbo.  He is a great actor.  He picks his roles well and constantly impresses me.  I love him in Sherlock***, and I grow even fonder of him with the Hobbit.  He is not showy; he is under-stated.  He plays his character without making it too big, too fake.

Further adding to the amazing atmosphere are the special effects.  Jackson continues to make wise decisions when choosing his special effects.  At times, it felt like there was a bit more CGI than with the original trilogy, but perhaps time has dulled my memory.  Either way, there were a few times that I was struck by the CGI I was seeing.  If I'm noticing it, it's probably not that great.  Regardless, the bulk of effects are well done.

In particular, Gollum is a pleasure.  Andy Serkis does an amazing job, which is to be expected at this point.  The scenes between Gollum and Bilbo may have been my favorite part of the movie.  The motion capture is incredible, and the actors work so well together.  It feels natural, even though one character is incredibly unnatural.

One of my biggest concerns going into the Hobbit was that it would be full of filler.  They were stretching essentially one book into three movies.  I realize they were also including the Silmarillion, but I wasn't sure how much real material that would provide them with.  Running nearly three hours, one can see why there might be worry.  As luck would have it, the film flew by.  With the right editor, Jackson can achieve a tight film that hits the right pace.

Of course, the pacing isn't perfect.  In particular, the scenes with Radagast seem largely out of place.  I was interested to hear about the different wizards that existed, but when spending time with Radagast, it just felt out of place.  After the movie, I actually found out that those scenes weren't in the books.  Perhaps they should have stayed out of the movie, as well.

The film is beautiful though.  The sweeping shots and the gorgeous compositions make the Hobbit a stunning piece.  When you factor in the music, it is near perfection.  It's interesting to note that a lot of the shots are re-creations of shots from the original trilogy.  The musical cues are also being re-used.  It's good because it helps pull you back into that world, but there are downsides to that, as well.

Some of the largest detractors of the film have cited how similar it is to the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  The films are markedly different, but people who go in expecting more Lord of the Rings may very well be disappointed.  The Hobbit takes place in the same world and stars some of the same characters, but it has a completely different tone.  The Hobbit spends a bit more time being silly and fantastical.  The original trilogy had a much darker, serious tone.  That isn't to say that there are no dark moments in the Hobbit.  The beginning is both epic and dark.  It grabs you right away, but after that, the Hobbit feels like its own film.  There are definitely homages to the earlier films, but the Hobbit is playing a different game.

While watching the Hobbit, I was reminded of a multitude of things.  The swelling of the music as they show Rivendale reminded me of World of Warcraft.  It's not because Peter Jackson was influenced by that at all; it's simply that when you enter a night elf area, there is a specific swell of music.  Elves get their own music.****  Of course, most of the races do.  There was a scene where the characters are pretty much gathering loot after a battle.  It was just like a D&D adventure.  A lot of my nerd life was brought to mind while watching the Hobbit, and that endears it to me.  Mark felt the same way, perhaps more strongly than I.

The Hobbit is an excellent film.  Is it perfect?  Nope.  Is it still worth seeing in the theater?  Definitely...perhaps multiple times.  This is the type of fantasy adventure film that I would want to watch with my kids.  It's epic and can be inspiring.  Heck, you should see it just to see if you can tell the dwarves apart. Jackson does an excellent job of visually making each of them their own character.  It's a feat in itself.  Do yourself a favor and see the Hobbit in theaters.  It is exactly the type of movie that deserves a big screen.

*I really need to pick it up on Blu-Ray.  I couldn't help but imagine how much better it would look....

**If I could find it in a 48 fps showing, I would also see it again.

***If you haven't seen Sherlock, what is wrong with you???  It's a great show with great actors.  Sheesh.

****You decide if it is fruity.

No comments:

Post a Comment