Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Sam's Club Cakes

I remember having the best birthday cakes when I was younger, maybe in my early teens.  I don't remember the cakes before that, but we have some pictures of awesome cakes that my mom made.*  I'm sure they were tasty, but I don't really remember.  My favorite cakes are moist with butter-cream frosting that gets a bit crusty as it is exposed to the air.  For my recent birthday, Mark bought my cake at Sam's Club.  All in all, it was pretty good.

Pictured: delicious calories

Let's tackle the appearance first.  I find the cake very pretty and well done.  While the picture doesn't do a good job of showing it, the words on the front were well done.  The small flowers lining the sides were also quite pretty.  I love the detailing on the top, as well.  Even though the top was a plastic disc, it looked very good on the cake.  It didn't look as if it was just stuck on as an after-thought.

When you discuss how a cake tastes, there are two main components: frosting and cake.  For some reason, all frosting stays sticky and wet nowadays.  It doesn't crust up like it used to.  I won't hold that against them, as only Disney seems to have the magical frosting I'm looking for.  The frosting on the cake tasked good, but it was sweet enough that I couldn't eat too much of it.**  

For the most part, the cake tasted good.  It seemed a tiny bit dry on the very edges, but it was still tasty.  There was a layer of frosting in the middle, which served to make the cake seem more moist.  The flavor was good, but it wasn't mind blowing.

If you need a birthday cake and don't want to spend and arm and a leg, Sam's Club does a solid job.  They make a pretty cake that tastes just fine.  It's pretty similar to the cakes from any of the major chains.  To get better, you'll probably have to go to a fancy bakery.  There's nothing wrong with that; it will just cost you two or three times as much.  I was quite happy with my cake.  Thanks, Mark!

*I wish I had a picture of the Terminator 2 cake she did for Ryan's birthday one year.  It was amaze-balls.

**I remember when I was younger I could eat all the frosting.  It didn't bother me.  I always wanted a corner piece with lots of flowers.  Now, I want a small center piece with a thin layer of frosting.  What happened???

No comments:

Post a Comment