Monday, December 3, 2012

Chicken with Mustard Cream Sauce

I'm sure you've figured it out by now, but I really love the Pioneer Woman.  Before I go grocery shopping, I check out her website to see if there are recipes I want to try out.  The chicken with mustard cream sauce caught my eye, so I picked up the needed ingredients and set out to create a delicious meal.

Unfortunately, I screwed it up.  Of course, that's the end of this review.  Let's start at the beginning.

As usual, I gathered my ingredients together for a group photo.  I find that happy food tastes better.*

Warning: Do not eat before cooking.

The most difficult part of the cooking was cutting the chicken.  She suggests cutting the breasts in half to make thinner cutlets.  She made it look easy.  I struggled mightily.  If this were a Top Chef challenge that focused on butcher skills, I would be going home.

Time to salt and pepper my shame!

Now, I expected the cooking to go fast once I got started, but that was not the case.  After heating oil and butter in a pan, I then cooked the chicken.  It took longer than I expected, and I had to do two batches.  I should have used my huge pan, but I didn't realize that until too late.

Pictured: cooking.

After cooking the chicken, you set it aside on a plate.  At this point, you add some minced garlic to the pan and saute it.  I have poor knife skills, as evidenced by my attempt to cut up chicken.  I use my handy dandy Ninja to mince the garlic.

Perfect.

After a minute or so, it's time to add the wine.  At this point, all sense of smart left me.  I just poured it in and was rewarded with a lot of hot, spitting oil.**  This is where I actually messed up the recipe.  It says to allow the wine to reduce by half.  By the end of this experiment, I will realize that I have no clue how long that should have taken.  I got anxious and moved on.

I proceeded to add chicken broth, two kinds of mustard, and heavy cream.  I put in the mustard first and combined it.  Next, I added the broth and cream.  I started letting the mix reduce since it was way too watery.***

Pictured: too much wine.****

Eventually, I gave up on any more reduction and added the chicken back in to the pan to finish cooking.  I do have to say that it smelled great.  The smell of the wine with just the  garlic and oil was odd, but once the rest of the ingredients were added, it was quite the pleasant aroma.

The finished product

Honestly, the dish tasted great.  I liked the flavors, but I was disappointed in myself for messing up the sauce.  It was way too thin.  An experienced cook would have known and corrected it.  I'm not that smart yet.  I did leave the leftovers simmering for a bit longer while we ate.  I hope the sauce is a bit thicker when we tackle the left-overs.

Pioneer Woman is still my favorite source of recipes.  She makes me feel like I can cook things.  This is my first blunder with her recipes, but it still tasted good.  Also, I didn't burn the house down.  Go me.

*Actually, it doesn't make a difference in this case.

**It was hot.  It hurt.  :(

***Yes, I know it was my own fault.  Don't judge.

****I'm sure some people would argue that there is no such thing as too much wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment