Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Simply Delicious Pork

We've been struggling to get to a point where we eat out rarely and cook regularly.  We've been making progress, I'm happy to say!  With a little meal planning, it is actually quite easy to stay away from restaurants and drive-thru windows.  Today, when we were home for lunch, I threw together Simply Delicious Pork, which was a recipe in our slow cooker cook book that is actually shaped like a crock-pot, in case you forget what to cook in.

The recipe consists of about a pound and a half of pork covered with slices of golden delicious apples sprinkled with cinnamon, brown sugar, and salt.  It was incredibly easy to throw together.  It would have been easier if I knew where my apple corer was, but that is a small inconvenience.  After putting it all in the crock-pot, I just had to set it to low and leave it for six to eight hours.  Awesome.

I have a tendency to overcook meat I have not prepared a lot, especially when cooking it in a manner I am unfamiliar with.  Since the recipe said six to eight hours, I erred on the side of caution and let the pork cook eight hours.  Because of this, the pork was dry.  This was at odds with the flavor, which was nice.  Additionally, the apple slices were great.  Because they had cooked so long, there were less like a slice and more like warm applesauce, but that's a good thing.

I'll probably try this recipe again in the future, but I'll only let it cook for about six hours.  Peeling the apples would also make for happier eating.  The picture in the book was a bit misleading, as the apple slices in the photo appear firm.  Actually, upon closer inspection, they look like skinny orange slices.  I'm beginning to think the editor that approved the pictures didn't actually look at them.  Anyway, if you want a quick and easy meal, this is exactly that.

No comments:

Post a Comment