Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A Review A Day

I've seen people do that picture a day thing for a couple of years now, and I always thought it was neat!  I enjoy seeing what image people pull out of all the things they see in a day to put out there for the world to see.  It's even better when the person doing it takes great pictures.*  This year, I decided to get in on the fun, but my skills behind a camera are amateur at best, childish at worst.  Because I have a love of all things cinema, I decided I would do a review every day of the year.  Let's just say that you should be careful in deciding what you will do on a daily basis.

My adventure is actually a bit more time consuming.  On January 1st, I posted my first review.  I kept it up throughout all of January, but I decided to add a new task every month.  In February, I started walking thirty minutes a day.  In March, I started eating a piece of fruit each day.  This month, I started trying to cook something every day.  As time goes on, I find myself with less and less time in which to achieve my goals, which is why I say to be careful what goals you set for yourself.

At the same time, it's always a good idea to challenge yourself.  You never know what you can achieve until you set a ridiculous goal for yourself.  The first hurdle I faced in doing a daily review was finding something to review.  Initially, I planned to review a movie every day or perhaps a television show.  Frankly, I don't always watch something that inspires me to put my thoughts down.  Other days, I can't carve out two hours to watch a movie and then time to type up the review.

The natural expansion for me was to include restaurant reviews.  First of all, I love food.  I have to eat it, or I die.  Add to that the fact that Mark and I dine out way too often, and you discover a great many opportunities. To top it all off, people can be very passionate about food.  It's easy to be angry enough to write a scathing review, and it is also common enough to have a wonderful experience that illicits happy thoughts that demand to be let out.

Once I accepted that my reviews would have to be about a myriad of subjects, the hardest part became finding a topic or item that moved me enough to have a serious opinion.  Some days, I just don't experience anything interesting or polarizing enough to warrant a review.  You can usually tell which days those are, as they are about incredibly weird or uninteresting topics.

On the flip side, there are days where something is so great or so annoying that I can't help but write about it.  My review of horns was one of those days.  The stronger my reaction, the easier it is to type out my thoughts on the subject.  There have been nights where I've spent half an hour to forty-five minutes writing up a review.  I'm not sure where the time goes, as I'm a pretty decent typist, and I am not usually at a loss for words on those nights.  When I wrote my review for the most recent Twilight movie, it took forever.  I don't proof-read myself, which means that isn't adding to my time.**

For the most part, I don't regret committing myself to this task.  There are only about ten or so of you who read these things, but I feel good that I'm sticking with something.  There are times where I put up the posts as coming soon, but that has only happened five times.  Once, I fell asleep.  Three were because we had gone to Pennsylvania for a funeral, and this post was because I was just so frustrated with the whole thing.  I'm feeling better about it today and am back on track.

If you want to pick something to do every day, I'd stick with the pictures.  I'm sure it takes some people just as long to complete that as it takes me to write a review, but at this point, it just seems like it would be a lot less work for me.  It doesn't help that I'm adding daily tasks each month either.  At this point, I'm looking for things that don't take a whole lot of time, or I will be screwed come December.

Thanks for reading.  It makes me happy.

*I'm talking about you, Tara.

**Yes, I know I should proof-read my work.  Mark, when he reads these things, usually points out my mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment