Friday, April 13, 2012

Nacho Hippo

Well, right off the bat, it's got the name going for it, as I love nachos, and I think hippos are funny.  Putting the two together was a sure way to get my attention.  Mark and I have dined at Nacho Hippo a half dozen times or so with the experiences never adding up to a genuine consensus regarding the quality of the restaurant as a whole.  We're going to primarily base the review on tonight's experience, as it was a pretty good one, and it suits my mood.

While Mark and I have been eating out a lot less as of late, we still struggle to decide where to go when we want a meal out on the town.  Tonight was no exception, with us driving around Myrtle Beach, waiting for some new place to pique our interest.  Unfortunately, by the time we were passing Angelos, we were pretty much out of options, as we didn't feel like driving on to Surfside.  Instead, we stopped at the Market Common to visit Barnes & Nobles to look for a book, which they didn't have, and to have dinner at Nacho Hippo.

The decor at Nacho Hippo is pretty standard zany bar stuff.  It doesn't really impress or annoy.  It's just there.  I do, however, enjoy the Pennsylvania Inspection Station sign that is on the wall.  Let's just say that if I were that type of person, you could expect to find it with me were it to go missing.  Luckily, I'm lawful good, so the sign shall stay put...for now.  Maybe some day I'll have a henchman without my morals.

There was a fifteen minute wait, unless we decided to sit at the bar.  We sat at the bar.  It was the smart thing to do.  We were trying to make it to a showing of The Cabin in the Woods, so there was no time to lose.  My favorite thing about the bar, by the way, is the soft edge it has.  There is plastic over some sort of cushioning on the edge of the bar, which makes it super nice to lean against.  Even the chair I was resting my bum upon was comfortable.  When you add in that both bartenders were very nice, it made for a pleasant set up for our dining experience.

Mark had some fruity girl drink, followed by a water, followed by some girly beer.  I just had some Coke.  We have learned from past mistakes and order about half of the food we think we need.  Tonight, Mark got two tacos: a Tijuana and a KaKaKaKia.  Nacho Hippos has unusual tacos, which is part of the fun for Mark.  Me, I'm not into unusual tacos, so I tend to avoid them at Nacho Hippo.

I am partial to the grilled corn on the cob, of which I ordered two, knowing Mark would share it with me.  They put queso fresco on the corn, which makes for an interesting flavor.  I also convince Mark that we needed nachos, even though he thought they were bad last time.  We chose the Day After nachos, with the chili on the side.  I don't really think that chili belongs on nachos, so I keep them apart.

While we waited for our food, we watched the some UFC fights on the overhead television, of which there were three.  On a side note, UFC fights are very....silly.  I saw nothing there that worked for me.  There was a lot of grappling on the ground, which was unimpressive.

When the food arrived, we dug in, as we were both hungry by then.  Mark's tacos were both very good.  He had the kimchi on the side this time because they put a lot on the taco.  The corn was excellent, and it was funny to watch the food runner debate asking me if I ordered two sides of corn.  As we were unsure of the nacho quality, I was pleasantly surprised to find them delicious!  They, too, had the queso fresco on them.  After they sit too long, they start to get soggy, but that is a risk you take with any nacho dish.

All in all, we had a wonderful time at Nacho Hippo tonight.  The dude bros beside us were very annoying, but they could not put a damper on our good moods.  I suggest that if you haven't tried Nacho Hippo, you give it a shot.  Pick out what you want then only order half of that, especially if you get nachos.  It's a pretty big serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment