Sunday, April 22, 2012

Conan O'Brien Can't Stop

I've never really had an opinion about Conan O'Brien.  I always thought he was entertaining, but I never made it a priority to watch him.  Part of that stems from my not caring for late night television.  It's fine, but it's not for me.  When I started hearing about what happened between Conan and NBC, I took notice.  I spend a lot of time on websites that were covering the controversy, and I felt for Conan.  Having watched Conan O'Brien Can't Stop, I respect him and want to start watching his show on TBS.

Conan O'Brien Can't Stop follows Conan in the aftermath of leaving NBC.  He was unable to appear on TV or the internet for six months.  Because he loves what he does, he decided to go on the road and do shows for the people who rallied for him in the face of the controversy with NBC.

Many celebrities would demand a show following them be edited to make them look as perfect as possible.  With Conan, you get what appears to be a genuine look at the pain he went through, as well as the pain he put himself through to appear at all those live shows.  He pushed himself, and it was amazing that he allowed people to see that.

In the face of what was done to him by NBC, Conan came across as honest.  He didn't play the uncomplaining saint, but he didn't spend the entire time vilifying NBC.  There is definitely some vitriol, but it is contained and understandable.  I know I would have been a lot more broken after something like that.  One can only imagine someone like Kevin Smith going through this would result in a very public display.  Conan lets it out in this video, but it was never a call to arms.

The show also provides some glimpses of Conan with his family, further humanizing him.  You get to see him interacting with fans and other celebrities alike.  In some instances, you get to hear exactly how that makes him feel.  It's a look into the life of a public figure.  While going on tour is much different than making a movie or doing a daily television show, it is another facet of celebrity.

Even if you don't really know much about Conan O'Brien, it is worth taking an hour and a half to check out Conan O'Brien Can't Stop.  It's a very real look at the life of a celebrity.  I'm sure there is some editing done to make him look better, but overall, it's appears to be an honest portrayal.

No comments:

Post a Comment