Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Hugo - Old Tyme Religion

While I am occasionally attracted to the terrible dance type song, I am more of a classic rock kind of girl.  I grew up in a house that had some country music tendencies with a little bit of this and that thrown in.  One of the earliest albums I remember was the Bat Out of Hell Album by Meatloaf.*  I know all the words, and it has been the only album that consisted of all quality songs in my little world.  Maybe I don't care for a couple of them as much as others, but it is one of my favorite albums.  Just recently, I have finally discovered another album that joins the distinction of having all quality material.  Hugo's Old Tyme Religion is an amazing collection of music that I really like.

I don't claim to have great taste in music, and how I discover music isn't very interesting or special.  If they use it in a movie, a television show, or a commercial, I'm probably going to hear it.  That's where I find most music, although I do sometimes here stuff I am not familiar with on Rock 107.

I discovered Hugo when I went to see a movie.  Mark and I headed out to the theater to see a little movie called Fright Night.  It was a remake, and it was awesome.**  Over the end credits, they play "99 Problems" which I had only known as a song by Jay-Z.  I  hadn't really listened to the Jay-Z version, but I was marginally aware of its existence.  I was immediately interested in this bluesy rock sounding music.  My interest is always piqued when someone takes a piece of music and inherently changes it.***  Hugo gave me something new.

I liked the music so much that I looked Hugo up on iTunes.  Usually, I just buy the one song I'm interested in.  You no longer have to buy entire albums with the introduction of digital music, and that's a wonderful thing.  Because I was so impressed with that one song, I decided to listen to the minute samples they had of the other songs on the album.  A few of them sounded pretty good, so I did the math and decided to buy the entire album.

As time has gone on, I keep discovering that I like more and more of the songs.  At first, there were maybe three or four that I really enjoyed and kept in my playlists.  Sometimes, you set it to shuffle through all your songs, and when I did, I would randomly hear another of the songs from the album and grow to like it as well.

On our recent trip to Florida, I managed to finally hear the last few songs off of that Hugo album that I had thus far avoided, and I realized that I like each and ever song on the album.  Each one.  That's frankly amazing.  In a day and age where we don't have to like the filler songs, it feels like there is no filler on Hugo's Old Tyme Religion.

If you want to see what Hugo is all about, just visit youtube and search for his version of 99 Problems.  It gives you a real feel for his sound.  From that one song, I have grown to love an entire album.  It's so great that I'm pretty sure my first child will be conceived while it's playing.  I'm pretty sure it has also allowed Hugo to sire as many children as he wants with the young ladies.****

*No, not the food.  Those jokes will not be tolerated.  Feel free to click the little "x" up in the corner.

**Seriously, you should have read my review.  I'm not even gonna link it.  :P

***I love the version of Dancing With Myself that they did on Glee.  They took a song and made it their own, but it worked.

****I can't imagine that man's bed is ever empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment