Monday, September 3, 2012

Star Nails & Spa

In honor of my sister-in-law's upcoming nuptials, Mark and I decided it was our duty to have manicures and pedicures.  We didn't want to look shabby for the big day.  This trip to the nail spa brings my total number of manicures and pedicures to three.  It's not something I do very often.  I went for my best friends' wedding, and Mark and I went before our vacation last year.  The important question wasn't whether we would go to a nail spa but rather which one to go to.

My initial salon visit was a place in State College, PA that did an amazing job.  Our visit last year was to a place that did an okay job.  Actually, I was a bit disappointed in their work.  This left me in a bind, as we couldn't afford to travel to State College to get our nails done.  We ended up going to Star Nails & Spa, located in the Coastal Grand Mall here in Myrtle Beach.  They're on the end near the Bed, Bath, and Beyond.  I must say it was a wise decision.



Mark had grudgingly agreed to get a pedicure with me, as he has done once before.  On the drive over, while stuck at a red light, he starts picking at his nails.  When he realized how bad his cuticles were, he jokingly said he should get a manicure.  I immediately said yes, as I didn't think it was a big deal.  Apparently, he kept thinking about it and decided to go for it.

The most uncomfortable part of any nail salon experience is the initial entrance.  You step in and are expected to know what to do.  I am not yet comfortable with that, as I don't visit them very often.  This leads to me standing around awkwardly.  Once we were greeted, we told them what we wanted done; they instructed me to pick out a polish and then have a seat in the fancy pedicure chairs.*  It took me a while to pick out the right color for my toe nails, as it's a big decision!


So many colors!

Once the color was chosen**, we both had a seat.  For those of you that have never had a pedicure, let me give you a run down of what happens.  Usually, you're sitting in a fancy chair that has a massage apparatus in the back.  So, free back massage.  There is usually a place for the water attached, as well.  They get the water to a comfortable temperature and have you put your feet in.  It feels very nice.  Then, they will take out one foot at a time and work on it.  They trim your nails and clean up your cuticles, as well.  They usually rub your feet a bit, as well as your calves.  They'll toss a hot towel on your legs after they're done having your feet soak.  If you're hesitant about having a pedicure because you have a messed up toenail or such, don't worry.  They will take care of it and make you feel better than when you started.

If you're getting polish, they put on a coat of something that helps your nails keep from discoloring from the nail polish.  Once that dries, they begin putting on the polish.  They'll use as many coats as it takes to make it look good.

After you finish the pedicure portion of your adventure, they take you to one of the stations where they do manicures.  In my case, I asked for some a French manicure, where they put the white lines on the end.  Mark, of course, opted to forgo polish.  They do a lot of the same things with your hands that they do with your feet.  They clean up your cuticles and trim your nails.  They rub some lotion on them and massage your hands a bit.  Once again, they'll use as many coats as it takes to make your polish look smashing.

Overall, Star Nails & Spa did a spectacular job.  They were kind enough to have a woman work on Mark's appendages, which put him more at ease.  The last time he had a pedicure, it was a man doing it, which was awkward.  Additionally, the girl was very nice.  She chatted with both of us during the pedicure phase, which further relaxed Mark.  The prices were comparable to other places I've been, so I had no real complaints in that department.


If I were to bring forth any factors I took issue with, it would be the fact that the tips on my finger nails were quite thick.  Now, I am obviously no expert regarding manicures.***  It was actually my fourth manicure because I forgot to count the one I had before I got married.  The day before our nuptials, a nice Disney castmember came to our room and did a manicure for me, my first ever.  She told me that the white lines at the end of the nails, on the tips, should be thin in an effort to make the nail bed appear elongated.  That has always stuck with me, and I prefer that style.  That being said, I was still very happy with how everything turned out.

My manicure last year was chipping with-in two days.  I was being incredibly careful, but the polish just wasn't staying as nice as I would have liked.  My manicure from Star Nails & Spa didn't show a chip for almost five days.  I got it on Monday and noticed the first chip on Friday night.  I thought that was pretty good.  We will probably return there next year, when it's time for another manicure/pedicure day.****

*This is where a picture of those chairs would go, but the only pictures of them I took have Mark in them.  He has asked that I not put his pedicure pictures up.  Spoilsport.

**It was red, by the way.  It seemed appropriate and classy.  I did feel a bit slutty though.

***I think that's pretty obvious.

****By the way, Mark says I need to get some more female friends.

1 comment:

  1. How about that awkward moment when you see another guy waiting to get a pedicure. That's the worst, right bros? ...Bros?

    ReplyDelete