Thursday, September 13, 2012

Project Runway

We arrived home from Florida late on Monday.  That being said, I should have unpacked by now.  I blame buying groceries, working, and writing on here for my laziness.  Unfortuantely, that isn't what stopped me today.  Instead of unpacking, I found multiple episodes of Project Runway playing on Lifetime.*  It has soaked up all of my evening.

Project Runway has a lot going for it.  You have Tim Gunn, who is an amazing individual**, as well as Heidi Klum, who I find more and more likable as I watch the show.  The judges are appropriately acidic and genuine, as needed.  They have a great contrast among the four regulars.

The people they choose to be on the show are incredibly eclectic.  There are usually some stereotypes, but it doesn't appear to be too intentional.  The people are largely organic in their actions, reactions, and emotions.  There is always some drama, especially in episodes that force them into group challenges.

Each episode is structured pretty much the same.  They open with the introduction of a new challenge, followed by time to sketch their ideas.  After that, they visit Mood, where they buy the materials needed for their creations.  Time is then allotted for them to work, to create.  Tim Gunn will then show up and help them along.  He is just plain fun to watch.  He just likened someone's piece as an homage to the menstrual cycle.  How can you not love that??  The best part is that he does not mean it in a harsh way.  He is seriously trying to help them.

After their pep talks, they finish their garments and put them on the models.  Each piece sees the runway.  Afterwards, the judges critique everyone, choosing a winner and loser for the episode.  The format isn't particularly inspired, but it works.  Project Runway is a perfect blend of cliche and innovation.  I don't sew***, but it makes me want to.  I want to go wander around Mood and then create something.  I know it wouldn't look anywhere near as amazing as what they do on the show, but what they do can be inspiring.  You see them create an entire outfit in as little as a day.

Looking to kill some time?  Watch Project Runway.  It's peppered with interesting people making neat clothes.  I don't always understand why some of them are fashionable, but I don't have to.  I can just disagree with them.  They don't mind.

*There is a lot of junk on Lifetime.  As far as I can recall, Project Runway is the only show I watch on the channel.

**Which many of you already know.  WWTGD?

***Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment