Monday, September 17, 2012

Etsy

Do you ever take for granted that everyone knows about something?  When I get caught up in my own little world, it surprises me that some people don't know what I'm talking about when I refer to WoW.*  I referenced Doctor Who the other day and was a bit surprised when the person I was talking to had never heard of it.  Things that we encounter regularly just become part of our normal environment, to the point that we forget that others may not be familiar with it.  I was at work not too long ago when someone didn't know what Etsy was.  So, let's talk about Etsy.

For the uninitiated, Etsy is a site that features both antique and hand-made items for sale.  You can be a vendor, or you can be a buyer.  Do whatever floats your boat.  What's really neat about Etsy is that you can find items for the oddest things.  I could go buy Tardis earrings if I want.**  Like Supernatural?  They've got shirts and jackets with different sigils and what not.  Are you more into antiques?  They still have you covered.  When we bought our bestest buds they're wedding gift, the trunk came from an antique seller on Etsy.  You have the ability to contact the sellers with questions and comments.

The site itself is pretty user friendly.  If you find something you like, you can actually visit the person's "shop" to see all of their items.  For our medieval costumes a couple years ago, we bought a bag from someone on Etsy.  We perused her entire shop, just in case there was something else we could have used.

Now, I have bought stuff from Etsy, but I have never taken on the role of seller.  As far as I know, it's pretty user friendly.  I know my mother has sold some of her patterns on Etsy, and I don't recall her complaining about it.

If you haven't wandered over to Etsy.com, you really should.  Even if you don't order anything, it's fun to look around.  Go search for some obscure show, and I'll bet you find some fan made items for sale.

*In case you're one of those people, I mean World of Warcraft.

**It's a Doctor Who thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment