Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Rock 107 (Myrtle Beach)

I know a lot of people don't listen to the radio much anymore, but I've started tuning in to random stations now that I'm driving.  When I take Mark to work early in the morning, I really want some good music.  I'm usually tired, so I start with 107.1, which is known as Rock 107.  As far as the music goes, it's a pretty sound choice.  I've heard Metallica, Deep Purple, and the Rolling Stones, just to give you an idea of the type of music they're playing.  I'm primarily into classic rock, so Rock 107 plays what I want to hear, as well as some more recent rock that I didn't know I liked until I heard it on there.  If you like rock, it's a great station.

Of course, with all good things, there is a downside.  In this case, the talk portion is often tasteless.  I have wondered if I am just being harsh because I don't care for the radio chatter/banter to start with.  I don't tune in to listen to people ramble on.  I tune in to hear some classic Aerosmith.  I want to hear AC/DC.  I do not want to hear you speculate on whether or not a three-way is a good idea.  I don't want to hear some dope that calls in telling you that its all about pretending to be more interested in your wife than the additional girl.  

Before you assume that I am incredibly prudish, I am not.  Any who know me are well aware that my mind spends a great deal of time in the gutter.  That doesn't mean that I air it for the world to experience.  I'm not really offended at their choice of topic; I just think it is asinine. What's even worse is that it makes me wonder about the type of people who find this type of display entertaining.  

Further making me question how I feel about my membership to the rock club is the type of businesses that are advertising on Rock 107.  I feel a business has every right to advertise where they choose, but when I am listening to the radio station where Thee Dollhouse is helping to support one of their contests, it all seems a bit odd.  By the way, that is their spelling, not mine.  Not too long ago, there were ads for a contest to win a breast job.  I've also heard ads promoting amateur night at the local adult nightclub.  Once again, they have every right to advertise where they choose.  I'm not complaining that the ads exist.  I'm just wondering what kind of people are into rock.  Goodness knows that the ads they're playing aren't for me.

I will continue to listen to Rock 107 because I love the music they play.  It's my default station, followed by Bob FM.  I will probably continue to change the station when they start talking though.  I usually wait to see what they're discussing before changing the station because there is the potential for awesome, but more often than not, I'm not interested in guys discussing three-ways.  The conversations I have with Mark about them are so much more fun and come with less douche chills.  

1 comment:

  1. The name of the contest was Boxing for Boobs. Ladies would fight to win breast augmentation. So it's like foxy boxing only it's for girls which have low self esteem and want bigger boobs. Upon further reflection, that kind of describes strippers; who are most likely to compete in foxy boxing anyway... So I guess it's exactly like foxy boxing. The circle is now complete!

    ReplyDelete