Sunday, September 2, 2012

Copper

You know, I'm still undecided on Copper.  I'm so on the fence that I haven't even finished watching the episodes on my DVR.  The show is well put together, but I don't know if it works for me.

Copper is like Sherlock Holmes meets Luther.  For those of you unfamiliar with Luther, he's a bit of an out of bounds cop.  He does what he has to, whether it is lawful or not.  I trust you know who Sherlock Holmes is.  I will say that there is not as much going on mentally on Copper as there would be in a Sherlock Holmes novel.

The casting seems a bit off to me.  The actor behind the main character does a decent job, but the look seems off to me.  It's like Leonardo DiCaprio in Gangs of New York.  He's a great actor, but he just didn't fit in.  Copper has the same problem with their main character, Detective Corcoran.

The story has potential, following this cop as he seeks answers to a personal issue while also doing his job.  Corruption abounds, and there are plenty of other colorful characters present.  All the pieces are present.

Sometimes, Copper feels like it is trying too hard to be edgy.  There are scenes that are unnecessarily violent, putting somewhat innocent characters into terrible situations, and Detective Corcoran is fine with it.  They also deal with some uncomfortable subject matter, but that would be acceptable given the time period the show is set in.

I've only watched three or four episodes of Copper.  I'm not sure if the rest of the season is more of the same or if they find their way.  Eventually, I'll get around to finding out.  Until then, Copper just hasn't pulled me in.

No comments:

Post a Comment