Monday, February 6, 2012

The State of the Driving Exam


While I do not yet speak from experience, the actual driving test is terrible.  As most of you know, I've had my permit for almost six months.  Did you know that in that span of time I have never had to parallel park?  Do you know how many three points turns I have been required to complete?  Guess how many times I had to back up in a straight line for a hundred feet.  If you answered zero to all of those questions, you would be right!  I parallel parked once back in October just to try it out, but I didn't actually have to.  I just happened to be in the Market Common area where there is parallel parking IF you want to use it.  

For the last few days, I have been focusing on those three parts of the test.  At this point, I don't know if I'll be able to pass the test when I am able to take it.  I understand that two of those tests test your awareness of your vehicle's position, as well as how it maneuvers, but are they really needed to be a competent driver??  I have spoken with many people recently about their driving tests.  I believe I spoke to one person who said they passed the first time.  Multiple people reported failing three times!!!  Bump the curb?  Failed!  Tires went off the road during the three point turn?  Failed!  I know the test has to challenge you because driving a car is a big responsibility, but such trivial trespasses should not be the deciding factor.  I don't think your wheels leaving the road during a three point turn is going to be fatal.  You know what might be fatal?  Doing a three point turn in the first place!!!  

I'm sure that once I have taken the test four or five times and finally passed, I'll sing a different tune.  Until then, I will continue to deal with my stress headaches.  If you drive by the DMV tomorrow, maybe  you'll see me practicing parallel parking.  All of the practice the last few days has been at night, in the dark.  Hopefully, it will go a little smoother in the daylight.  Wish me luck.

(Moved from FB - January 7, 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment