Sunday, February 26, 2012

Kirk's Ice Cream Parlor

I don't really eat that much ice cream, but when I do, I traditionally go to Cold Stone Creamery.  I enjoy over-loading my ice cream with whatever I want in it.  However, tonight, I was in the mood for something different.  We decided to give Kirk's Ice Cream Parlor a try.

Upon entering, a very nice man greeted us.  He had been watching Grease on a small t.v. in the corner.  I find Grease to be a fitting film to play in an old fashioned ice cream parlor.  They had a long glass case with tubs of ice cream displayed.  The names were attached to the glass, which was very convenient.

After walking the length of the case and checking out what flavors they offered, I checked out the pricing board behind the case.  They offer a variety of sizes.  The smallest serving looked like an extra large styrofoam shot glass, which would be great if you just wanted a couple bites.  That's probably the size I should have gotten, as I never finish my ice cream.  Aside from various sized cups of ice cream, there were also multiple toppings offered, as well as banana splits and frozen bananas.  The offered cones ranged from plain to chocolate to sprinkle covered.  They had the coated ones in the cooler case, which is the first time I've seen an establishment do that.  It's definitely a smart move.

Mark ordered first and got the bubblegum ice cream in a double serving.  It was bright blue and had whole gumballs in it.  He loved it.  He didn't care for the gum sticking to his teeth, but that's what you get when you eat cold bubblegum.  I have a co-worker that would be very excited to just eat the gum.  The double was large enough that Mark was unable to finish his ice cream.

I opted for a double as well, but my dish was larger.  I ordered the peanut butter cup ice cream with hot fudge topping, so I believe he just made me a sundae.  He offered me whipped cream, but I declined.  The ice cream was very flavorful, and the hot fudge was great.  I find that most places skimp on the hot fudge, even when I offer to pay extra.  At Kirk's, I was given more than enough hot fudge to make me happy.  Altogether, we paid $10.25.

We didn't feel like sitting while we ate our ice cream, but we did enter the provided room to check it out.  Most ice cream places I have been in are incredibly small and offer little to no seating for their customers.  Kirk's had an entire room with a multitude of tables provided for enjoying your ice cream.  There were even a couple benches too.

Eating our ice cream, we wandered around the room, looking at the decor.  Kirk's really evokes the feeling of being in an older ice cream parlor; it is a combination of how the ice cream is presented and served and the decor.  There was a large glass case full of old cameras.  The room also had large mirrors with the Kirk's logo on them, amidst the dark wood paneling.  Peppered throughout were old signs for different brands of ice cream.  One section was there for the tourists, with brochures for local attractions.  It made me feel like I was back in the 80's hanging out at a local ice cream joint.  I don't actually remember one like this, but I feel like I should.

If you're in Myrtle Beach and want some ice cream, there are a ton of places you can go.  Heck, Broadway at the Beach has at least five establishments specializing in frozen desserts.  The difference between Kirk's and all those other options is nostalgia.  If you walk into Kirk's Ice Cream Parlor, you'll be treated to hand-dipped ice cream served in a setting befitting your memories, even if they are manufactured by the movies.  Give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment