Friday, February 17, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises Trailer - Prestige Style

I am a fan of well done mash-ups.  I don't like all mash-ups, and I don't go looking for them.  Fortunately, I am a frequent patron of the Cinemablend, or as I first knew it, Film Hobbit.  Head honcho Josh Tyler is one of my favorite reviewers, and I generally agree with his opinions.  Sometimes, I'll see a movie he suggests, even when I didn't initially have interest in it.  Fortunately, Cinemablend covers entertainement, movie, tv, and gaming news.  They frequently provide me with interesting tidbits of information, as well as fun videos.  I felt it important to give them a shout out, as their site is where I discovered this Dark Knight Rises/Prestige mash-up.

The clip is a few minutes long and features dialogue spoken by Michael Caine as Cutter in the Prestige.  It is the segment where he explains the components of a magic trick.  The editor has combined the voice over with images from Nolan's Batman trilogy.  As there are three parts to a magic trick and three movies to Nolan's Batman saga, it is an appropriate and well thought out piece.

There are a few scenes in the mash-up that I find incredibly effective, which is what makes this a mash-up worth watching.  The editor uses the scene from the end of the Dark Knight where Gordon destroys the bat signal, while Caine talking about making something disappear in the second part of a trick.  It resonates and pulls forth the emotions present at the end of the Dark Knight.  To take the time to find just the right image and sync it up with the right dialogue is impressive and puts a lot of other mash-ups to shame.

Those of you who know me are aware that I hold the Dark Knight in high regard.  I believe Nolan is excellent at what he does, and I favor many of his movies.  I generally like mash-ups where they combine his separate works.  I have seen a very good Inception/Dark Knight mash-up in the past, and I may just have a weakness for them, but the creator put a lot of thought into this one.

The images for the Dark Knight Rises seem a little tacked on, as most of those images have no narration by Caine; they are instead accompanied by the appropriate instrumental music.  Unfortunately, Caine's dialogue had run out at that point, and the piece would not have been complete without the images from the Dark Knight Rises, as it represents the prestige, the final piece of a trick.  While they may not have the same integral feel as the rest, I still have no problem watching them.  

I fear the Dark Knight Rises will be unable to live up to my expectations, so I am trying to keep them low.  The Dark Knight is such a complete movie experience that I fear nothing can live up to it.  It's like doing karaoke right after Mark and Tara perform a Lady Gaga song...no one really wants to follow that.  The stage can only handle so much awesome.  The creators choice to use this particular bit of dialogue from the Prestige serves to illustrate that others may feel the same as he refers to the final part of the trick as the most difficult. Christopher Nolan has his work cut out for him concluding such a wonderful series of films.

I applaud the creator of this mash-up, as he has created a video that uses clever dialogue to create a cohesive send up of great films.  Even if you're not a huge fan of mash-ups, you should give this one a go.  It isn't a mash-up for the sake of being a mash-up.  It is a video that takes you through the films thus far and shows you where they're going.  I just hope the prestige can hold up to the turn.

1 comment:

  1. I love Michael Caine! "Goodnight you princes of SeaLab, you kings of the ocean. People are always asking me, 'Whats it all about, Alfred?'"

    ReplyDelete