Monday, February 6, 2012

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol


Normally, I would have seen a film of this reputation/expectation during its opening weekend.  I had been trying to find an Imax that was playing the film with the prologue for The Dark Knight Rises.  Unfortunately, no Imax near my location was kind enough to be that awesome.  Instead, I went to my favorite local theater to check out Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol today.

The Mission Impossible films don't really stand out for me like some other action series, but they are quite entertaining.  Unfortunately, they tend to be forgettable.  I see them, like them, then forget they exist.  I fear this one will be no different.  

As a whole, the movie is excellent.  The action beats are well timed.  The casting is quite good.  The director does a fine job.  Brad Bird proves that he can handle live action with this entry.  In case you were wondering, he was the director behind the Incredibles, which is my favorite Pixar film.  After seeing this Mission Impossible entry, I feel it does a better job at being realistic, in both plot and procedure.  Keep in mind, I am not telling you the film is realistic; it just doesn't bend the rules of the universe quite so much.  

I feel as if I should have liked the movie more than I did.  All the parts are there, but something is amiss.  Towards the end of the film, in the last five minutes or so, the film presents a small twist that I feel weakened the film overall.  It's not a big deal, but that small change has been nagging at me.  If you have time, you should see Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol.  It puts the pieces together right and is a fine film.  Most likely, the plot hiccup that is bothering me won't bother you.  Also, Sawyer (Josh Holloway) from Lost is in the film.  It's always fun to see an actor one recognizes!

(Moved from FB - January 12, 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment