Monday, February 6, 2012

Dr. Who - Desktop Patrol Dalek


This is not a review of Dr. Who.  For now, all I will say on that subject is that you should be watching it.  Start with ninth doctor, Christopher Eccleston.  You'll be thankful you did.  Anyway, tonight, we are gathered here to talk about the desktop patrol dalek.  It's a little robot that strolls around the desk, patrolling.  I'm sure if he finds the doctor, he'll exterminate him.  Until then, he's keeping my desk safe.  Actually, I'm pretty sure he's just looking for the doctor.

He came in a nifty little box, which I saved because I'm crazy like that.  They had him screwed into the cardboard, which I think was a little overkill.  I understand they are afraid he will escape, but screwing him to the packing materials was a little much.  After fighting with the cardboard, I finally pried him free.  

Unfortuantely, that was not that last of my troubles.  There is a tiny little screw on his back that must be removed to insert the three AAA batteries, which were not included.  After getting my handy dandy screwdriver from my pink tool bag, it took me almost five minutes to get the top of the dalek off.  Even worse, I didnt' actually get the screw out.  It refused to come out all the way, and I was afraid of breaking my new toy.  

When I finally had him disassembled, I inserted the three batteries using their less than spectacular diagram.  I stitched him back up, and flipped him over to find the power button.  You can have him patrol with or without sound.  I chose sound, as it was his inaugeral run.  There was some debris on the desk from his packaging.  Although the packaging promised he would never fall off the desk, he immediately did so.  Apparently, having small debris throws off his sensors and makes him suicidal.  He thought he could fly...they can do that, ya know?

I really like my little dalek guy.  He is red, which I think means he goes faster than the other versions.  While the sound of his little, spinning wheels would probably get annoying pretty quick, he is fun in small bursts.  The fact that he constantly calls out "Exterminate!" is just icing on the cake.  If you are a Dr. Who fan, pick up one of these little guys.  Even if you don't have him moving around, he looks pretty cool.  He looks good with my other merchandise.  Currently, I am awaiting a t-shirt that says "Regenerate and carry on".  I'm considering a trip to England to see the Dr. Who exhibit.  I believe it just moved to Cardiff....

(Moved from FB - February 2, 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment