Monday, February 6, 2012

Landshark: The Parallel Parking Adventure


Okay...so it wasn't much of an adventure.  Landshark is located down on the strip or the boardwalk or whatever you like to call it.  To eat there, I got to parallel park!  This was only my second attempt, and Mark said I did a great job.  Of course, he is obligated to say that, as I it was written into our wedding vows.  Anyway, I managed to parallel park without hitting the other car or hitting the curb!  I must master this parallel parking task if I am to pass my driving test.  

I digres..

We went to Landshark to try a new restaurant this evening.  This was no easy decision, as we had to discuss what to eat for at least an hour before coming to a conclusion.  Luckily, it was a good decision.  Landshark was actually really good.  The decor isn't anything special, with most of the seating outside, overlooking the beach.  As it was dark and cold, we opted to sit inside.  The couple of guys working were all very pleasant and helpful.  The high ceiling coupled with the lack of other patrons made the place seem very open, even though it really wasn't.  There was one other table there, consisting of a family from Illinois.  I wasn't stalking them, but they happened to be the people I parallel parked behind.  

Listening to music pulled from my high school and college age, we looked over the menu.  The menu really didn't offer much....a few appetizers, some burgers, a couple of hotdogs, and some sandwiches.  There were also three desserts.  We picked out pretzel sticks to start.  Now, we have started ordering pretzel appetizers whenever they are on the menu, so we have had them at many restaurants.  Most of them are pretty one note, with the various dipping sauces often being the only real difference.  Not so at Landshark.  While some pretezels are gummy or rubbery, these ones were not.  They actually tasted as if they were made from real dough!  They were served with a nice queso dip and a serviceable honey mustard sauce.  Mark assures me it was very good, but I'm not one for mustard.

After devouring the appetizer, our meals arrived.  I had ordered a cheeseburger, medium well, with fries.  Mark opted for a Cuban with provolone rather than swiss, as he hates cheese with holes in it.  He says it is a rip-off, or so I seem to recall.  We also asked for a side of tater tots because not enough places have them.  Seriously, the only place I know of that serves tater tots is Sonic or your local school cafeteria.  They made me happy in grade school, and they still make me happy today.  These tots did not diappoint.  They were the best tater tots I have had yet.  They were crisp on the outside without being overdone.  When you bit one in half, it didn't disintegrate into it's component parts.  

As is commong, my burger with served with lettuce and tomato, which I have never eated on a burger.  I've never really cared for tomato, and I prefer my lettuce to be a salad.  Instead of picking it off, Mark suggested we eat the sandwich as intended, so I have now parallel parked twice and had lettuce and tomato on my burger once.  It's a red letter day.  Also located on the burger was a wonderful sauce.  See, they take ketchup, mayonaise, and pickle relish and puree it until smooth.  It's all the condiments for your burger joined as one!  It is the Voltron of condiments.  In case you're wondering, mayonaise is piloted by the fat guy.   Happily, the sauce  is also great on the above mentioined tater tots.  It was great on the burger as well.  I even enjoyed the lettuce and tomato.  The burger patty had a chargrilled taste and was actually quite large.  Mark ended up eating more of it than I, but we both ended up full.

Let's not forget Mark's Cuban sandwich.  He really liked it.  I had a taste but had trouble biting through the ham.  Mark says I just got a bad bit of bread, but he's playing Star Wars right now and not really paying attention to my questions.  He has a red lightsaber and he's not afraid to use it.  

The sandwiches also came with fries, which were excellent.  Because I like ranch on my fries, I had them bring me a side.  It was quite good and tasted like it had dill in it.  Speaking of dill, we were also served pickle spears.  They were a little soft but still tasted good.

We had planned on getting some Key Lime pie, but we were too full for it.  The prices for the meal were comparable to Red Robin or burgers at a T.G.I. Fridays.  We kind of expected the food to be sub-par because the restaurant is really a tourist trap.  They slap Jimmy Buffett's name on a restaurant in Myrtle Beach, and all the tourists have to go there, especially when it sits under the skywheel and on the beach.  We were happy to be pleasantly surprised by the food and will probably return, but not in high summer.

(Moved from FB - January 5, 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment