Thursday, August 30, 2012

Liberty Steakhouse & Brewery

I'm happy to report that Mark and I have reduced how often we are going out to eat.  Now, when we dine somewhere other than home, it is usually with family or for work.  Before leaving for Florida, Mark's parents wanted to meet up for dinner.  Since their happy hour runs til seven, we decided to go to Liberty, which is at Broadway.

First, let's address the location.  Restaurants located at Broadway at the Beach are easy to find, but they're also in the middle of a tourist attraction.  In high summer, the crowds are ridiculously thick at Broadway, which leads to many of the restaurants having long waits.  With happy hour, you have to find a table in the bar or beer garden.  Luckily for us, it wasn't busy.  A lot of the crowds are gone, so we didn't have a hard time finding a booth.

Once our booth was cleaned,* they brought around some happy hour menus for us.  Now, I've eaten steaks at Liberty before, and I don't really care for their entrees.  This makes happy hour a perfect choice for us.  While the food probably reduced my life expectancy, it's pretty tasty.

I'm not one for drinking, but Liberty has a bunch of different beers on tap.  Mark's mom got some raspberry concoction that she really liked, as did Mark when he took a taste.**  I forget what Mark ordered, but he said it was very strong.  He actually ended up ordering a second beer before the end of happy hour, but I have failed you.  I didn't take note of what it was.

As far as food goes, we ordered way too much.  This is a common theme with Mark and I.  Since the appetizers range from four to five dollars a piece, you can get a lot for a little.  Mark and I ordered chicken wings, which were your standard chicken wings.  We opted for mild, while Mark's mom ordered the garlic Parmesan ones.  They looked really good.  His parents also ordered some shrimp appetizer that must have been good, as it was completely gone by the time we were done.

Since I'm a pretty big fan of fried pickles, we opted to order those as well.  They were really good, definitely in competition for the best dish that night.  They were the chips, not the spears.  I still haven't found spears that I really liked.  Continuing our focus on fried appetizers, we also got cheese fries and pimento cheese bites.  I didn't think the cheese fries were that good, and they largely went to waste.  Mark loved the pimento cheese bites.  They were deep fried pimento cheese with jalapenos, right up Mark's alley.  I didn't care for them, but that's probably because I didn't realize they had jalapenos in them.  They had a bit of a burn to them.  Luckily, we had pretzels too.  They counteracted the spice a bit.  They were served with mustard and honey mustard, neither of which I really enjoyed on my pretzels.  We didn't order the cheese sauce, but they brought that too.  I didn't try it, so I can't report on its quality.

If you're looking for stock bar food, you cold do worse than Liberty Steakhouse & Brewery.  The happy hour has some pretty good deals, even if the service can be slow at times.  I would really only go there if I was craving fried food and only if it was happy hour.  Even then, it's not my first choice.

*Because you have to take what you can find, which is usually a place someone has just vacated.

**I can't even stand the smell of beer, let alone the taste.  While I try to sample everything I mention in my reviews, I can't bring myself to try the beer.  Ew.

No comments:

Post a Comment