Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Coastal Grande Obstetrics And Gynecology

One of my earlier reviews was about bras.  I try to keep my reviews to topics that are not overly directed at one gender or the other, but sometimes, I have experiences that demand a review that are a little more lady-centric.  Today is one of those days.  I went to the Coastal Grande Obstetrics and Gynecology center and saw Dr. Tatiana Vu today.  

Before I get too far into the review, I need to give you some background.  I am the owner of a human body. I was born with it, but I don't always take the best care of it.  I don't abuse drugs or alcohol, but I don't take very many preventative steps for my health.  I came from a home where you didn't go to the doctor unless the bleeding wouldn't stop or a bone was poking out.  I don't really think that's a bad thing, as we weren't flush with cash and running to the doctor over a runny nose wasn't in the cards and really wasn't necessary.  On the rare occasions there were serious issues, we could go.  We just didn't.  

I have been to the gynecologist once, seven years ago.  It was kinda painful, and I really hated it.  I'm sure no one really enjoys it, but I had a pretty strong aversion to going back.  When you factor in that my mother hasn't been for twenty or so years, you can see where I get my bad habits.*  Because of circumstances beyond my control, I had to get to a gynecologist as soon as possible.**

I talked to a couple girls at work about who they see.  After collecting numbers and names, I went with the person that could get me in soonest.  That just happened to be Dr. Tatiana Vu at Coastal Grande Obstetrics and Gynecology.  I called yesterday, and they managed to fit me in*** at 3:00 today.

After running home for a quick shower****, I made it to the office at just about 3:00.  As with any first time visit, I had to fill out a great deal of paperwork.  After I finished, the receptionist needed to copy my driver's license and insurance card.  Typically, Mark didn't know where the insurance card was located.  Luckily, these nice ladies just took the information down.  Mark had called his doctor to get it.

Less than ten minutes after handing in my clipboard, a very nice nurse***** called me back to the secret doctor area behind the sole entrance/exit.******  She told me a bit about my doctor, such as how she treats her first time visitors.  After that, I got to do the obligatory peeing in a cup thing.  I had to write my name on the cup, so I also drew a big smiley face on it.  I wanted the nurse to know my sample was happy to see her.

After being weighed and having my blood pressure taken, it was time to wait for the doctor.  I still had clothes on at this point, which was nice.  At the same time, I was freaking out.  This isn't something I've done a lot, and I was nervous.  I'm not sure if reading the medical posters in the room made it better or not.  

When Dr. Vu showed up, she took me out of exam room five and down to her office.  She likes to talk to new patients before any sort of exam.  It was incredibly soothing.  I know that sounds weird, but meeting someone while you're wearing a paper vest is just no fun.  It was really nice to sit in her office and talk before getting down to business.  She asked me normal questions, with the biggest one being how it was that I was on birth control when I hadn't been to a gynecologist in seven years.*******  She was very funny, and her demeanor put me at ease.

A few minutes later, I was back in exam room five.  She showed  me how the paper vest goes on.  Hint: the opening goes in the front.  She told me where to leave my clothes and said she would be back soon.  

Let me tell you...it's just plain weird to strip down in some place you've only been for about ten minutes.  There were hooks on the door for my clothes, and hanging up your underwear is odd.  As soon as I was in my stylish paper vest, I hopped up on the exam table.  I unfolded the paper blanket and tried to look as modest as possible.  Honestly, I wanted to wrap it around myself, but she specifically said to drape it.

I'll glaze over the next part for any gentleman readers.  There was a breast exam that I had to struggle not to giggle during.  It was surreal.  After that, they do the bit with the speculum.********  After that, there is a more thorough examination, making sure all your "stuff" feels normal.  The whole thing probably took less than five minutes.  The best part was that Dr. Vu did her best to keep me from freaking out.  She explained what she was doing and gave me advice to make it less uncomfortable.  I can't tell you enough how spectacular she was.

When she was all done, I asked her some questions, and she gave me some answers.  I won't get into the more personal stuff, but I am okay.  I thought I was dying, but it's all good.  After our little Q&A, she told me to get dressed and open the door when I was done.  She would be back.

In the couple of minutes it took me to get dressed, she brought me four months worth of birth control samples.  She also called in a prescription for more, should I need it.  I wasn't planning on getting any more, but she explained to me that she would rather I had it in case I wanted it.  It was pretty amazing.

As I said before, I had only been to the lady doctor once, and that was seven years ago.  I remembered it being very painful, and I didn't want to go back.  Circumstances forced my hand, and choosing to go see Dr. Tatiana Vu was a good move.  She was very professional and had an excellent manner.  If you're looking for a good gynecologist in the Myrtle Beach area, I strongly suggest you seek out Dr. Vu.  I'm actually planning on going back in a year, like you're supposed to.*********

*To those of you that know my mother, feel free to start harassing her for her bad habits.  She won't listen, but we get bonus points for trying to do a good deed.  :)

**For those of you wondering, I'm not pregnant.  That's been the overwhelming question whenever I mention that I went to the lady doctor.

***If I weren't so classy, there would be a joke here.

****I thought that was a good idea.  It turns out a lot of ladies do this.

*****I think her name was Kathy.  I was so nervous that some details have eluded me.

******I like to think of it as the doctor's lair.  I think there's treasure back there somewhere.

*******I know a guy.

********Relax your bum.  That's all the advice I have for you.

*********Or sooner, if that baby thing happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment