Friday, August 10, 2012

Craigslist

Craigslist can be a wonderful thing.  It's like a yardsale on the internet, except it's always in progress and is not negatively impacted by weather.  When Mark and I first moved to Myrtle Beach, I wanted a dresser for in our guest room.*  After looking around in a few stores, we came to the conclusion that we just didn't have the spare money lying around after a move to buy furniture, especially since I hadn't found a new job yet.  Enter Craigslist.  After searching through the furniture listings, we found two dressers for $15.

This is one of the drawers sitting on the dresser.  
As you can see, they spray painted the entire thing black.


They weren't the nicest ones in the world, but I got to refinish one of them!  It was incredibly fun, and I was quite proud of the result.**
This is the finished piece.  It's now in the closet, holding shoes.

Lately, there has been talk of getting a dog.  Mark has always wanted one, but I have always believed that it wouldn't be fair to leave a dog home alone all day, since we both work.  I'm also afraid that I would be the only one taking care of it.*** 

I've been giving the idea more serious consideration lately.  When we went to the baseball game the other day, Mark was so elated to see the team's dog, Deuce.  It was then that I realized Mark never had a dog growing up.  It hit me right in the feelings.  Now, I feel obligated to produce a male heir for him AND get him a dog.  

I was talking about this dilemma at work when the Clark Bar told me about a free golden retriever listed on Craigslist.  It had never occurred to me that there were pets on there.  I decided to pull up those listings and see what was what.  

It turns out that Craigslist is even more impressive than I knew.  Tons of people have cats, dogs, mice and the like on there!  They're trying to find homes for pets, rather than just taking them to the pound.****  

I do have a few complaints, but they are minor.
  1. Put up a picture of the animal.  People fall in love with cute.*****
  2. Stop calling it a re-homing fee.  If you're selling your pet, just come out and say it.  Using the term re-homing fee doesn't even make sense.  Why would you charge me to take an unwanted fur baby off your hands?  Frankly, you should pay me.  The shelter would likely charge you to drop off your animal.
  3. While you should provide a picture, it is equally important to describe the animal's temperament.  One person did an excellent job talking about the cat she needed a home for, suggesting what type of person would benefit most from the kitty.
I'm going to keep checking out the pet section on Craigslist.  I don't know if we'll get a dog, but it can't hurt to look.  If you're looking for a pet, don't pass up Craigslist.  You may help someone who is genuinely upset at being unable to keep a treasured pet.  While you're on there, you can browse some of the other listings, as well.  When I bought the dressers from a nice seller on there, it was an easy transaction all around.  Be careful, but on the whole, check out Craigslist.******  



*We were going for the hotel vibe.  Since we have bunk beds in there, it didn't work, but it made me happy.

**It wasn't perfect.  I really needed to buy and attach new drawer pulls, but I didn't have a drill.  As such, I just redid the ones that were on it as best I could.

***I don't want to pick up poo.  Can you blame me?

****Is that even a socially acceptable word any more?  Do I have to call it a shelter?  Calling the Pound Puppies the Shelter Puppies just doesn't have the same sound.  You really need the alliteration.

*****If the animal is ugly, I suppose you can skip the picture.  Just describe its amazing personality.

******Yes, I realize you probably already have.  I'm just letting you know that I used it and didn't get murdered!

No comments:

Post a Comment