Friday, August 31, 2012

Bejeweled

To this day, my favorite game is Tetris.  I fully expect its status to be protected, as it is a pretty perfect game.  That being said, I have a weakness for games that are similar.  Enter Bejeweled.

I first got into Bejeweled during the Lich King expansion of World of Warcraft.  They had this absolutely wonderful add-on that allowed you to play Bejeweled while you were in flight.  My joy only increased when I got Bejeweled for my phone then, which was an Android.  Now, I have an iPhone, which I've had for a while now.  Because I will be obsessed with certain games for a while and then just forget all about them, I never put Bejeweled on.  Well, a week or so ago, I realized that Mark had put it on my phone.  Since then, that's pretty much all I've been playing.  

Bejeweled is a great app for the iPhone.  I believe it was around $2.99, but I wasn't the one who downloaded it, so I could be off on the cost.  There are a bunch of iterations of Bejeweled.  I think the one on my phone is Bejeweled Blitz.  They are one minute games where you match as many groups of jewels as possible.  The app is incredibly responsive, which is nice.  Sometimes, my swipes aren't accurate, but that could be my fault, rather than the app.

My biggest complaint is the upgrade system.  Now, this is a pet peeve and has no real bearing on the game.  You can use the coin that you earn by playing to buy upgrades, such as more time or special gems.  This in itself is fine.  It artificially inflates your score, but it's just a game.  I'm not competing against anyone buy myself, so it has no real bearing.  What bothers me is that if I was playing against another, you can buy more in game cash with real money.  I understand that is how they make money, but it makes the game dirty.*

Before, I was playing Dungeon Raid, which is love.  Now, since re-discovering Bejeweled, that's all I've been playing.  I was enjoying it so much that I downloaded it on my Kindle.  It was $2.99, but it's not as good as the iPhone app.  It isn't as responsive, but it does give you additional modes to play.  I have an endless game that I'm playing right now, and it's a nice change from the one minute bouts.

Most of you are probably already familiar with Bejeweled, and that's a good thing.  Keep playing because it is a fun game.  If you can only afford one version, I'd go with the iPhone app, Bejeweled Blitz.

*Dirty in a prostitute way, but it is not sexy.

No comments:

Post a Comment