Wednesday, March 28, 2012

They Live!

I must say that the 80s were a wonderful time, and I love to go back and visit them.  Tonight, I watched They Live for the first time.  I knew bits and pieces about the film from random pop culture references, but I had never taken the time to actually sit down and watch it.

The movie basically follows around Roddy Piper.  You get a glimpse of what America was like in the 80s.  For the most part, aside from style, it wasn't much different from today.  Roddy finds specially made sunglasses that provide him with the ability to see the aliens among us, as well as their hidden messages.  The film's message is a pretty clear slap in the face to consumerism and the greed that pervades/pervaded America.

The film has some pretty iconic imagery, as well as some great lines, specifically one about bubble gum.  There were some fun surprises that are probably only awesome to me.  For example, the aliens appear to use the EKG meters from Ghostbusters (at least, I think that was what they were called) to communicate.  At one point, Roddy even kidnaps Evil-Lyn!  Okay, she wasn't really Evil-Lyn, but she played her in Masters of the Universe.  She has amazing eyes, by the way.  I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Keith David is running around in this movie too!

They Live is a perfect 80s movie!  If you haven't seen it, you need to.  The special effects are not amazing, but they are suitable.  I'm sure this movie would have scared the crap out of me when I was little.  The story is interesting but not overly cerebral.  If you want to have an awesome 80s night, follow up They Live with Krull.  It's what I'm doing right now.  Well, Tara, if you're reading this, you probably shouldn't watch Krull.  There is a long scene with a huge spider.  Consider yourself warned!

No comments:

Post a Comment