Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Nerdist With Guest Neil Patrick Harris

I have never been a fan of talk radio.  When I turn my radio on, I want to hear music.  I hate overly chatty DJs on morning radio and feel that the topics they usually discuss are worthless and uninteresting.  One would think maybe my dislike arises because they are not discussing stories or ideas that appeal to me, and if you think that, you may be right.  It turns out that I find some podcasts incredibly interesting, especially when they talk about movies or video games I'm familiar with.  As such, I am enjoying the Nerdist podcast more and more.

Featuring Chris Hardwick, the Nerdist alternates between podcasts featuring a guest and podcasts that are just Chris and two of his friends, Matt & Jonah.  Before long road trips, Mark is instructed to stop listening to the Nerdist so we can listen to it in the car.  He also saves episodes he believes will appeal to me, such as the podcast where Chris interviewed David Tennant*.  While coming home from the funeral last month, we listened to the episode of the Nerdist with guest Neil Patrick Harris, and it was awesome.

It is the mark of a good interviewer when they can talk to their guest and sound normal.  Listening to Chris and NPH talk to each other was like listening to two old friends chatting.  As far as I know, they aren't really friends.  It's just a gift Chris has, and I'm sure it is incredibly easy when you're talking to someone like NPH.  

The show had fun stories about both the past and the present.  I learned a bit about magicians.  I now know that NPH has twins.  The best part is that listening to the show was entertaining and made the drive go quicker.

If you are interested in pop culture, you should try listening to the Nerdist.  If you choose an episode with a guest star, make sure it is a guest star you're interested in.  We tried listening to an episode with Cake,but I found it boring.  I like a couple of Cake's songs, but I just wasn't interested in the behind the scenes look at the music industry.  I do, however, usually enjoy the shows where it is just Chris, Matt, and Jonah.  It may be because I've listened enough of their podcasts with a well known guest that I grew attached to them, so listening to just the three of them is sometimes even better.

All I know is that you need to enjoy your burrito.  

*Sploosh.

No comments:

Post a Comment