Saturday, March 24, 2012

iPhone 4s

A couple of weeks ago, I got my iPhone 4s, and it has definitely been different.  

For the last couple years, I've been using the original Droid, with the slide out keyboard.  Part of the reason I had been so reluctant to upgrade to an iPhone, which Mark did months ago, was due to my fear of typing on the screen, rather than a keyboard.  Luckily, the iPhone handles the typing pretty well.  The auto correct is usually correct.  Additionally, it shows me what word it is going to auto-correct to, and if that word is wrong, I can close it out, keeping what I initially typed.  

Since picking up my iPhone 4s, I have also picked up a new app called Draw Something.  I believe it is also available for the Droid, but it is the best part of my new phone.  It's a lot of fun and has made me curious to browse the app store to see what else I can find.

One of the unfortunate characteristics of the iPhone is its fragility.  It just feels like it is going to break which has necessitated my buying an Otterbox.  When you consider how expensive the iPhone is, it is ridiculous to have to buy a $40 case to go with it.  My Droid had no scratches on the screen and had not suffered from the two or three times it had been dropped.  It spend time in either my purse of pocket, with no case to protect it.  Multiple people I have spoken with have told me about their iPhone either breaking or getting scratched.  Apparently, it's pretty common.  Thus far my pretty pink and white Otterbox is keeping my phone safe, but I don't appreciate that I had to worry about it in the first place.

While my iPhone isn't perfect, I really appreciate little things about it.  If I want to mute the phone, there is a switch on the side.  At the movies, to be sure it is muted, I just have to check the side.  I don't have to turn on the screen, potentially annoying other patrons.  The interface is also very intuitive.  At times, I struggle to orient myself, as I had used my Droid for so long, but I'm learning the iPhone set up.  I haven't figured out how to call someone from the message screen directly, but I do like the conversation feature when texting multiple people.

I know I am supposed to believe the iPhone is better because it is an iPhone, and I do like it.  At the same time, I'm not 100% sold on it.  I really liked my Droid phone, but I'm sure I'll be properly indoctrinated into the Apple cult before I need to upgrade again.

No comments:

Post a Comment