Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Taco Bell Doritos Locos Taco

Inspired by a couple of awesome friends, I decided to seek out the Taco Bell Doritos Locos Taco.  Costing a bit more than a regular crunchy taco, it was a much different experience than my usual Double Decker taco.  I had seen ads recently but forgotten all about it until it showed up as the daily picture posted by Rick and by Tara.

My first impression was a rather positive one.  I had heard of a taco dish made by making up taco meat, shredding lettuce, and cutting up tomatoes then tossing the appropriate serving size into a personal size bag of Doritos, which had been previously crushed.  I suppose it was only a matter of time before someone took the idea further, creating taco shells out of Doritos.  The first couple of bites were very good, but the flavor stopped being awesome about halfway through the taco.

If I had the taco as Taco Bell intended, the flavor might not have become overwhelming.  I had them leave off the lettuce in favor of some extra cheese.  The lettuce may have cut the bold flavors to make a more pleasing taco experience.  I did enjoy the extra flavor somewhat, as I do not usually add any sauces to my tacos.  I'm not used to having them be that flavorful.

While unnecessary, I really enjoyed the extra packaging that the taco had with it.  It was wrapped in the normal taco paper, but it also had a cardboard shell alerting you to the Doritos experience awaiting you.  It was a nice touch, although largely wasteful.

All in all, I pronounce the Taco Bell Doritos Locos Taco a success.  I wouldn't want to eat them every day, but it was a nice change.  I would like to see them sell the shells on a regular basis.  Make sure you try them before they are gone, but I don't think you'll be crushed when they remove them from the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment